Rosberg praises Mercedes tire management after special victory

May 26, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT

Mercedes Formula One driver Nico Rosberg of Germany celebrates after winning the Monaco F1 Grand Prix Reuters

Monaco Grand Prix winner Nico Rosberg has praised the improvement that Mercedes have made since the Spanish Grand Prix, allowing him to claim his first win of the season.

The win was particularly special for Rosberg as his father, Keke, won the race thirty years ago, and Nico has spent most of his life in Monaco.

“Yeah, amazing,” Rosberg began in the post-race press conference. “This is my home, I grew up here, I went to school here, I’ve lived here all my life so it’s a very special day for me.”

Rosberg was able to hang on to the lead heading into the first corner, but he revealed after the race that his start was poor.

“The whole weekend went perfectly. The start was very close, terrible start, so close to Sebastian and with Lewis also, but then that worked out well.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

“After that, I was just able to control the pace and the car was really good, you know, the tires held on okay so that was really the key to the victory today. Massive thanks to the team, firmly improved from Barcelona, and I’m just ecstatic.”

Rosberg’s victory was certainly a long time in the making, with the team failing to convert any of its previous three pole positions into a win in 2013. However, it was fourth time lucky for the German team, and Rosberg will be delighted to have won in such fashion, even with the cloud of a protest from Red Bull hanging over the team’s head.

1. iwillneverloginagain - May 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I never comment on blogs… but I CREATED A NEW ACCOUNT (that I will never use again) just so I could comment here about how HORRIBLE today’s NBC coverage of the Monaco GP was.

What kind of boneheads are you to show the POST RACE highlights & interviews BEFORE the race started??? I clicked play on my DVR ready for some suspense and the first thing I see… THE WINNERS OF THE RACE all sitting in pit lane celebrating.

And THEN you show the race AFTER that????

Idiots.

• chaparral2f - May 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I too am really ticked off. Same thing happened to me. First race results, then the race, which btw, stopped recording at lap 61. All in all, a big fat zero for NBCSports.

2. rowdy1854 - May 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM

You two are undoubtably the dumbest people on the face of the Earth. You morons recordedd/watched the replay not the live race. Finally the race stopping on your DVR was your fault for not extending it, I missed the end but it was my fault making an assumption that it would be like every other F1 and end as usual.

• srw5000 - May 28, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Yes Rowdy, I agree, you are the dumbest person on earth for missing the end of the race due to operator error. Now, why not cut yourself and everyone else some slack and expect higher standards of NBC / NBC Sports HD – to insure everyone gets to see the race in its entirety and no one gets shown the outcome of the race before the secondary telecast begins. It’s not asking that much.

3. britguyabroad - May 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Agree with Rowdy, you guys are complaining about your own mistake – race was on NBC not NBCSN.

4. srw5000 - May 28, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Rowdy and Britguy: Never blame the Viewer. The race WAS on NBCSHD, whether primary or secondary, it was up to NBCSHD to not ruin the race for their Viewership on the primary run on their network.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches