May 26, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Monaco Grand Prix winner Nico Rosberg has praised the improvement that Mercedes have made since the Spanish Grand Prix, allowing him to claim his first win of the season.
The win was particularly special for Rosberg as his father, Keke, won the race thirty years ago, and Nico has spent most of his life in Monaco.
“Yeah, amazing,” Rosberg began in the post-race press conference. “This is my home, I grew up here, I went to school here, I’ve lived here all my life so it’s a very special day for me.”
Rosberg was able to hang on to the lead heading into the first corner, but he revealed after the race that his start was poor.
“The whole weekend went perfectly. The start was very close, terrible start, so close to Sebastian and with Lewis also, but then that worked out well.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“After that, I was just able to control the pace and the car was really good, you know, the tires held on okay so that was really the key to the victory today. Massive thanks to the team, firmly improved from Barcelona, and I’m just ecstatic.”
Rosberg’s victory was certainly a long time in the making, with the team failing to convert any of its previous three pole positions into a win in 2013. However, it was fourth time lucky for the German team, and Rosberg will be delighted to have won in such fashion, even with the cloud of a protest from Red Bull hanging over the team’s head.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)