May 26, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Monaco Grand Prix winner Nico Rosberg has praised the improvement that Mercedes have made since the Spanish Grand Prix, allowing him to claim his first win of the season.
The win was particularly special for Rosberg as his father, Keke, won the race thirty years ago, and Nico has spent most of his life in Monaco.
“Yeah, amazing,” Rosberg began in the post-race press conference. “This is my home, I grew up here, I went to school here, I’ve lived here all my life so it’s a very special day for me.”
Rosberg was able to hang on to the lead heading into the first corner, but he revealed after the race that his start was poor.
“The whole weekend went perfectly. The start was very close, terrible start, so close to Sebastian and with Lewis also, but then that worked out well.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“After that, I was just able to control the pace and the car was really good, you know, the tires held on okay so that was really the key to the victory today. Massive thanks to the team, firmly improved from Barcelona, and I’m just ecstatic.”
Rosberg’s victory was certainly a long time in the making, with the team failing to convert any of its previous three pole positions into a win in 2013. However, it was fourth time lucky for the German team, and Rosberg will be delighted to have won in such fashion, even with the cloud of a protest from Red Bull hanging over the team’s head.
- 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Preview 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0