May 26, 2013, 5:45 AM EDT
Scuderia Toro Rosso has confirmed that it has signed a deal with Renault for their engine supply from 2014.
The Faenza-based team has enjoyed a partnership with Ferrari since 2007, but, as part of an extensive shake-up of the F1 engine market, the team has opted to switch to Renault power units for next season to coincide with the new regulations.
“We are very pleased to have reached an agreement to use Renault power units from the 2014 season onwards, when the new regulations will present interesting challenges,” team principal Franz Tost said in a team statement. “It is particularly important that we have managed to finalise our plans early, so that we can be as well prepared as possible for next year.
“While looking forward to working with Renault, I would also like to thank Ferrari, our engine supplier since 2007. They have provided us with an extremely effective and reliable engine and an excellent service.”
An additional motive for the change is to bring Toro Rosso closer to its sister team, Red Bull Racing, who are thought to be considering a rebrand of their Renault power units to incorporate the Infiniti brand name.
“Strategically for Red Bull and Renault, it makes perfect sense for Scuderia Toro Rosso to use the same power unit as Infiniti Red Bull Racing from the 2014 season, which enables synergies between Red Bull and Renault to continue to grow,” Red Bull team principal Christian Horner stated.
This move sees Ferrari lose one of its customer contracts for 2014, but rumors suggest that they are set to sign a deal with Marussia in the coming weeks.
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/5 at 9:30am ET on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 1
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 4
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 4