May 26, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel may not have won for a second time around the streets of Monaco today, but the defending world champion is pleased to have extended his lead at the top of the championship after finishing P2 in the race.
“I think overall I’m very happy, pleased with the result,” Vettel said in the post-race press conference. “We know that it’s very difficult to overtake here.”
Vettel’s best chance to pass the Mercedes drivers came off the start, where he got away well and made a move down the inside of both Silver Arrows. However, he could not find a way past due to the lack of room, which he believes cost him dearly today.
“The start of the race, there was a fantastic start but no room. I think I could have gone past both Mercedes but I didn’t have the room and had to lift, and then Mark came. You expect two Silver Arrows in front of you; today they were silver buses going for a cruise!”
Mercedes did enter tire management mode early on, but this paid off as Rosberg waltzed to his first win in Monaco. However, Vettel did manage to get past Lewis Hamilton thanks to the safety car, and he was delighted with the team result that saw Mark Webber join him on the podium.
“I think we can be happy with the result. Great achievement for the team again. We seem to like this place in the last couple of years.”
Red Bull may have missed out on a fourth consecutive victory in Monaco, but Vettel is pleased to have extended his championship lead to 21 points after Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen could only finish 7th and 10th respectively.
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 0
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 1
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 1
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 3