May 27, 2013, 10:03 AM EST
Felipe Massa’s crash during the Monaco Grand Prix began when something failed on his car, according to Ferrari.
Massa suffered two similar and destructive crashes during the race weekend at the first corner, Sainte Devote. On both occasions his F138 made heavy impact with the barrier on the left approaching the corner, then slammed into another barrier on the outside of the first turn.
Ferrari said there was no problem on Massa’s car during the first of the crashed, which occurred during final practice and kept him out of qualifying.
However technical director Pat Fry believes the second smash was not Massa’s fault: “[The] accident looked very similar to what happened in the third free practice session, but in fact the two incidents are very different.”
“Unlike yesterday, it seems that today’s incident can be attributed to a problem on the left front corner of the car. It’s too early to say precisely what happened and in the next few days, we will try and ascertain the exact cause back in Maranello.”
Massa’s lap 29 crash had unfortunate consequences for team mate Fernando Alonso, as it gave his principal championship rival Sebastian Vettel the chance to gain a place at the expense of Lewis Hamilton.
Massa expects no ill effects from the crash at the next race in Canada: “I was taken to hospital for all the precautionary checks and luckily everything is in order,” he said.
“I’m alright, I’ve just got a slight pain in my neck, but nothing serious. Now I will look to get in shape and be back 100% for the Montreal race.”
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 12
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3