May 27, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
The FIA has given an early indication of how it will rule in the row over Mercedes’ secret tire test following the Spanish Grand Prix.
Ferrari and Red Bull lodged a protest against Mercedes on the morning of the Monaco Grand Prix after it emerged they have completed 1,000km of running – over three grand prix distances – in a three-day test at the Circuit de Catalunya.
The Monaco Grand Prix stewards referred the matter to the FIA. The FIA then issued a statement confirming they received a request from Mercedes and F1’s official tire supplier Pirelli to hold a test.
“Within the contract Pirelli has with the FIA as single supplier, there is provision for them to carry out up to 1000km of testing with any team – provided every team is offered the opportunity to do so,” said the statement.
“Pirelli and Mercedes AMG were advised by the FIA that such a development test could be possible if carried out by Pirelli, as opposed to the team that would provide the car and driver, and that such tests would be conditional upon every team being given the same opportunity to test in order to ensure full sporting equity.”
The FIA added they were not subsequently told a test was going ahead or whether any other teams had been invited to take part.
Monaco Grand Prix winner Nico Rosberg participated in the test along with team mate Lewis Hamilton.
Rosberg refused to answer questions about the test following the race, saying: “That you have to ask, you have to ask Pirelli about all this, about this issue.”
“I’m not going to comment. I’m not going to comment on that. You have to ask Pirelli.”
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0