May 27, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Ferrari’s Felipe Massa had a miserable weekend in Monaco, ending with a crash that sent him to hospital, but one bad event is unlikely to alter his status in the immediate future.
Interestingly, the team did have Kamui Kobayashi on hand as a guest this weekend. The ex-Sauber and Toyota driver failed to find the backing to continue for a fourth full season in Formula One, and has taken up residence in an AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia in the FIA World Endurance Championship this year.
On Monday, Kobayashi was in a Ferrari of the F1 variety – its 2010-spec chassis at its Fiorano test track, according to Autosport. His run in the F10 was in preparation for a promotional event in Moscow on July 21.
The Japanese driver, who scored his first career podium in his home race at Suzuka last year, was humbled by the experience.
“The first feeling was one of great happiness,” he said. “I raced against this car and I knew how quick it was, so it was very important to get some experience of it. Last year’s race in Brazil was the last time I drove a Formula One car and now I am racing in the WEC in a 458 GT, and the impressions are completely different.”
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 0
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)