May 27, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen hit back at Sergio Perez’s criticism of his driving in the Monaco Grand Prix by suggesting “someone should punch him in the face”.
The pair collided at the chicane when Perez tried to pass Raikkonen on the inside of the corner. The McLaren driver said Raikkonen “did not give me any room at all. I touched the wall on the entry to the corner and I had no room for that”.
Raikkonen laid the blame for the collision entirely at Perez’s feet: “Because of one stupid move from Sergio we’ve lost a lot of points to Sebastian [Vettel] in the championship and you can’t afford to lose ground like that,” he said.
“He hit me from behind and that’s about all there is to it. If he thinks it’s my fault that he came into the corner too fast then he obviously has no idea what he’s talking about.”
Asked if Perez would be spoken to by the drivers about his racecraft Raikkonen replied: “That won’t help. Maybe someone should punch him in the face.”
Raikkonen had already called Perez an “idiot” on the team radio earlier in the race after another attempted pass at the chicane by the McLaren driver.
Raikkonen and Perez have come together once before this year in the Chinese Grand Prix. This also provoked complaints from Raikkonen about Perez, but as in Monaco the stewards found nothing wrong with his driving.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 16
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 15
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2