May 27, 2013, 7:00 AM EST
Several years ago, Firestone put together an Indianapolis 500 ad (above) that asked the question about Indy, “How do I love you? Let me count the ways.”
It may sound like hyperbole, but it’s hard to find anything not to love about this Sunday’s 97th running of the Indianapolis 500. Sure, a green flag finish could have helped, but tradition has always dictated the race stays just 500 miles, and does not implement a NASCAR-style “Green-White-Checkered” outcome.
Consider, from that standpoint, that the last two years the race has ended under yellow only because of a last lap accident (JR Hildebrand in 2011, Takuma Sato in 2012) marked by a driver either going for the win or trying to hold off pressure from behind. The 2010 race marked the last time an Indianapolis 500 ended with more than one lap under yellow, after Mike Conway’s savage accident.
From the view of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway pressroom, let me count the number of historical notes and/or records set on Sunday:
- Tony Kanaan’s first ‘500 win in his 12th start ties Sam Hanks (1957) for the latest first-time win in race history, and was his ninth 500-mile race he led before winning.
- Kanaan set a new record for the fastest ‘500 in history: an average speed of 187.433 mph beat Arie Luyendyk’s old record of 185.981, set in 1990.
- Kanaan was the first driver to win the ‘500 with the number 11, and the first driver to deliver a win for KV Racing Technology under IndyCar sanction (its last win came in the Champ Car finale in 2008 at Long Beach).
- Kanaan led this race 15 different times, as did Marco Andretti. That marks the most times any driver has led in both a winning and non-winning effort.
- Scott Dixon extended his own record of consecutive Indianapolis 500 laps completed to 1,566, while completing the full 500 miles for a sixth straight year (ties Wilbur Shaw, Rodger Ward).
- There were a record 14 leaders (old record 12 in 1993) for a record 68 lead changes (old record 34 in 2012).
- Six drivers: Ryan Hunter-Reay, James Jakes, E.J. Viso, Carlos Munoz, AJ Allmendinger and Townsend Bell, all led the ‘500 for the first time.
- The ‘500 tied the record for number of finishers (26, same as the first in 1911) in a full race distance, and tied the record for number of lead lap finishers (19 in 2009).
Feb 1, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Nissan has its first LMP1 driver named.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:03 PM EST
Say hello to the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO prototype – and one very well-made Super Bowl ad.
Feb 1, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
Dale Jr. tweets: “I’m gonna go Pats just cause Deflategate was damn ridiculous.”
Feb 1, 2015, 4:32 PM EST
IndyCar champ Will Power and teammates Helio Castroneves, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Simon Pagenaud are guests of Verizon for tonight’s Big Game.
Feb 1, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Spanish sensation goes in search of a third straight Moto GP title in 2015.
Feb 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Will Max and Carlos Jr. follow in the footsteps of Jos Verstappen and Carlos Sainz?
Feb 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s 21-race lineup with Nationwide Insurance as primary sponsor has been announced.
Feb 1, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
The late NFL legend helped Target Chip Ganassi Racing during the 2009 IndyCar weekend at Sonoma as part of his “Sports Jobs with Junior Seau” TV show.
Feb 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
German driver completes a mammoth 157 laps on day one in Jerez, suggesting Mercedes’ bid to improve its reliability for 2015 has been a successful one.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:45 PM EST
Ryan Dungey and Cooper Webb both won in Anaheim to retain the points lead in their respective classes.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Engineering changes set for CGR’s IndyCar program in 2015.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Manion has won the Daytona 500, Brickyard 400, and two Xfinity Series championships as a crew chief during his career.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Australian driver enjoys a solid first day of testing in Jerez, completing more laps than the team managed in four days at last year’s opening test.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
New car only arrived in Spain on Sunday evening after being fired up in the factory on Saturday.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
McLaren CEO confirms that there will be a change in design at some point this year, but refuses to say when.
Feb 1, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
German driver makes a good start to life with Ferrari, but it is Mercedes who puts in the performance of the day with an incredible 157 laps completed.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:45 AM EST
German driver wants to avoid a repeat of his last race defeat to Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in 2014.
Feb 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
After storming to third place in the constructors’ championship in 2014, Williams must now consolidate its rise and push for race wins.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
As the post-Vettel era begins at Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat prepare to step up to the plate.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Technical chief Paddy Lowe working on improved reliability in 2015 after some issues last season.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0