May 27, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Several years ago, Firestone put together an Indianapolis 500 ad (above) that asked the question about Indy, “How do I love you? Let me count the ways.”
It may sound like hyperbole, but it’s hard to find anything not to love about this Sunday’s 97th running of the Indianapolis 500. Sure, a green flag finish could have helped, but tradition has always dictated the race stays just 500 miles, and does not implement a NASCAR-style “Green-White-Checkered” outcome.
Consider, from that standpoint, that the last two years the race has ended under yellow only because of a last lap accident (JR Hildebrand in 2011, Takuma Sato in 2012) marked by a driver either going for the win or trying to hold off pressure from behind. The 2010 race marked the last time an Indianapolis 500 ended with more than one lap under yellow, after Mike Conway’s savage accident.
From the view of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway pressroom, let me count the number of historical notes and/or records set on Sunday:
- Tony Kanaan’s first ‘500 win in his 12th start ties Sam Hanks (1957) for the latest first-time win in race history, and was his ninth 500-mile race he led before winning.
- Kanaan set a new record for the fastest ‘500 in history: an average speed of 187.433 mph beat Arie Luyendyk’s old record of 185.981, set in 1990.
- Kanaan was the first driver to win the ‘500 with the number 11, and the first driver to deliver a win for KV Racing Technology under IndyCar sanction (its last win came in the Champ Car finale in 2008 at Long Beach).
- Kanaan led this race 15 different times, as did Marco Andretti. That marks the most times any driver has led in both a winning and non-winning effort.
- Scott Dixon extended his own record of consecutive Indianapolis 500 laps completed to 1,566, while completing the full 500 miles for a sixth straight year (ties Wilbur Shaw, Rodger Ward).
- There were a record 14 leaders (old record 12 in 1993) for a record 68 lead changes (old record 34 in 2012).
- Six drivers: Ryan Hunter-Reay, James Jakes, E.J. Viso, Carlos Munoz, AJ Allmendinger and Townsend Bell, all led the ‘500 for the first time.
- The ‘500 tied the record for number of finishers (26, same as the first in 1911) in a full race distance, and tied the record for number of lead lap finishers (19 in 2009).
Sep 2, 2015, 2:36 PM EDT
Jann Mardenborough steps up from GP3 into GP2 this weekend.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Hinchcliffe recalls racing, commentating on Justin Wilson.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
Leah Pritchett looks to make her mark even more in NHRA Top Fuel, going into U.S. Nationals.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT
Dixon offers a rebuttal to Montoya’s dig about a “poor” season.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Stefan Wilson recalls his favorite racing moments of brother Justin.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT
Hulkenberg reveals he held talks with Haas F1 Team about a seat for 2016 before opting to remain with Force India.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
Sato improved four spots in the driver standings over his 2014 result.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Substituting for James Hinchcliffe, Briscoe ended his abridged 2015 with his first top-five finish of the year.
Sep 1, 2015, 4:07 PM EDT
Walker spoke with racing journalist Gordon Kirby about his two years in charge of competition and operations.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
A look at the festivities held in San Francisco on Monday night.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Track president George Bruggenthies provided details on what to expect at the track next June.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Justin Wilson won the fan vote for favorite driver.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Hulkenberg announces two-year extension with Force India F1.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
NBCSN’s Townsend Bell checks in for the final IndyCar installment of “Ten with Townsend” for 2015, after Sonoma.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
MotorSportsTalk’s Tony DiZinno reflects on the latest championship achieved by Scott Dixon and the Target Chip Ganassi Racing team.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
Damien Power hits Sonoma to meet up with brother Will. Hilarity ensues.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
Rosberg is now a dad.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Chaves first driver in nearly a decade to win both Indy 500, IndyCar top rookie honors in same season.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
IndyCar’s biggest underdog driver, team has their day at Sonoma.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The rest of the stories of note, to cap off the IndyCar season at Sonoma.
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Watkins Glen, Baltimore stand out for Stefan Wilson’s favorite race memories of brother Justin 1
- Report: Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 1
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 2
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 1