Jun 3, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Mercedes executive director Toto Wolff played down the team’s chances of repeating their victory in the last waste at this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix.
“We enjoyed a fantastic weekend in Monaco but, as I have said before, yesterday’s home runs don’t win tomorrow’s games,” said Wolff.
“We will be heading to Montreal this week with realistic expectations about what we can achieve.”
However Wolff believes the high-speed nature of the track will play to the strength of their engine. And Mercedes remain the team to beat in qualifying:
“Our car has been on pole position for the last four races, which shows our basic speed, so the focus in that time has been on improving our performance on Sunday afternoons.”
“We managed this in Monaco, partly thanks to the unique characteristics of the circuit. This weekend will give us a more representative indication of how much progress we have made.”
Nico Rosberg’s Monaco Grand Prix win has moved him up to sixth in the championship. Team mate Lewis Hamilton is 15 points ahead in fourth. Hamilton has won the Canadian Grand Prix on three previous occasions including last year and his maiden triumph in 2007.
“The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has been a strong circuit for me,” he said. “The circuit itself is really special; it’s very high-speed, great fun to drive and it’s definitely a track where late braking helps.”
“It’s not too far off a Monaco-style circuit where you need a similar set-up to bounce off the curbs so we should be quite competitive, although looking after the tires will be our main challenge.”
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1