Jun 5, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
It’s taken until June for Tony Kanaan’s No. 11 KV Racing Technology-SH Chevrolet to find sponsorship for all remaining races, but the last one is a big one.
The team announced Wednesday that Sunoco and “Turbo,” the upcoming DreamWorks Animation film about a snail’s quest to race in the Indianapolis 500, will serve as primary sponsors of Kanaan’s car at the Texas, Iowa, Pocono and Mid-Ohio races.
“We are thrilled with our partnership,” said Cynthia Archer, Sunoco’s vp of marketing development. “Teaming up with DreamWorks Animation and 2013 Indianapolis 500 champ Tony Kanaan is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It gives us a great platform to create excitement for our annual Free Fuel 5000 promotion and the TURBO movie.”
Kanaan couldn’t contain his excitement during a teleconference Wednesday, noting how the movie is targeted toward a younger demographic.
“My kid is the most excited kid right now,” he said of his son Leo. “He’s familiar with the Turbo movie. That for me is big. As you knew we were struggling and Sunoco and Turbo picked up the races that were left! I’m very excited about that.”
It’s a great fit for both parties; Sunoco’s history in IndyCar dates to 1968, and won the first IndyCar race at Pocono in 1971 with Mark Donohue. Donohue led 126 of 200 laps for Roger Penske in that race. IndyCar returns to Pocono this year, for the first time since 1989.
At the Indianapolis 500, the Sunoco/”Turbo” colors ran on Townsend Bell’s No. 60 Panther Racing Chevrolet.
Video from NASCAR America
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 19
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6