Jun 6, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Defending world champion Sebastian Vettel has criticized Mercedes’ tire test following the Spanish Grand Prix, believing that they will have gained some advantage from the additional running, making the case a “critical issue.”
Mercedes have been summoned before the FIA’s tribunal, with the case set to be assessed in the next six weeks. However, Vettel is still perturbed by the affair, feeling that there is a clear flouting of the rules.
“I see it as a critical issue,” Vettel told Suddeutsche Zeitung. “Each test kilometre is an advantage and Mercedes had the opportunity to test tires that we will probably race at Silverstone. I think this is an advantage over all the other teams.”
Furthermore, Vettel told Autosport how he felt that the test would have aided Mercedes’ development of the W04.
“We all know how important testing is in the winter. The quality of the testing is not the same because the conditions are different.
“The cars are very early in their development so if you have the chance somewhere in the middle of the season to have a test, or three days, then it’s a big help.”
Nico Rosberg won the Monaco Grand Prix for Mercedes with ease two weeks ago, yet many believe the track’s lack of tire wear meant that the true impact of the test was not revealed. However, with the Canadian Grand Prix usually being the toughest race for tire wear, the worth of the 1000km test will be on display this weekend.
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 0
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)