Jun 8, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Felipe Massa’s luck has failed to improve in Canada after his qualifying session ended in the wall due to a mistake in the wet conditions. The Brazilian driver experienced two heavy crashes at the last grand prix in Monaco, requiring medical attention after the race, and his state of mind will not have been aided by the incident in qualifying today.
During Q2, Massa was looking to improve his time in an attempt to avoid the dropzone, sitting 15th at the time of the incident. Heading into turn three (where Massa had already been off in Q1), the Ferrari driver clipped the slippery white line on the outside of the corner under braking, causing his F138 to slide off the track and into the wall with quite a heavy impact.
Unsurprisingly, Massa was very frustrated, hitting his steering wheel with his fists once his car had come to rest. The incident brought out the red flag, ending the session temporarily whilst the Ferrari was recovered, and it caused a rather humorous rush to the end of the pit lane as the remaining drivers looked to squeeze in one final lap time.
Massa eventually finished the session in P16 after Adrian Sutil improved to make it through to Q3. Ferrari will be disappointed with the incident, and with it following his two crashes in Monaco, the pressure will be on the Brazilian driver to perform in the race tomorrow.
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)