Jun 9, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso believes that his poor qualifying on Saturday cost him the chance of winning the Canadian Grand Prix, eventually coming home in 2nd place behind Sebastian Vettel.
Ferrari have claimed just four pole positions since Alonso joined the team in 2010. The Spanish driver started in P6 for the race in Montreal, spending a large part of the grand prix battling with Mark Webber, Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton whilst Vettel pulled away at the front. However, he was still pleased with the result that saw him move up to second in the drivers’ championship.
“Obviously we want to finish in front of our main competitors in the championship,” Alonso told Sky Sports. “With Sebastian obviously we could not do it today but he did pole position, he drove a very dominant race so we just need to congratulate him and just do a better job next time.
“We need to improve – especially qualifying. If we start up in the front with Sebastian we can fight a little bit closer.”
Alonso also revealed that he failed to put together a clean lap in qualifying due to the tricky conditions.
“We had a strong weekend in terms of pace. We complicated things maybe yesterday ourselves because with the conditions we were not very happy. With cold conditions the car is not performing well, but also I didn’t put a lap together on qualifying.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“As I said, we maybe complicated things for ourselves, but we recovered well in the race and in Silverstone we need to do a better weekend in general.”
Two-time champion Alonso now trails Vettel by 36 points in the drivers’ championship with one-third of the season gone.
- Dale Coyne Racing crew member injured in frightening pit-lane crash 0
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 0
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 38
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0