Jun 9, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso believes that his poor qualifying on Saturday cost him the chance of winning the Canadian Grand Prix, eventually coming home in 2nd place behind Sebastian Vettel.
Ferrari have claimed just four pole positions since Alonso joined the team in 2010. The Spanish driver started in P6 for the race in Montreal, spending a large part of the grand prix battling with Mark Webber, Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton whilst Vettel pulled away at the front. However, he was still pleased with the result that saw him move up to second in the drivers’ championship.
“Obviously we want to finish in front of our main competitors in the championship,” Alonso told Sky Sports. “With Sebastian obviously we could not do it today but he did pole position, he drove a very dominant race so we just need to congratulate him and just do a better job next time.
“We need to improve – especially qualifying. If we start up in the front with Sebastian we can fight a little bit closer.”
Alonso also revealed that he failed to put together a clean lap in qualifying due to the tricky conditions.
“We had a strong weekend in terms of pace. We complicated things maybe yesterday ourselves because with the conditions we were not very happy. With cold conditions the car is not performing well, but also I didn’t put a lap together on qualifying.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“As I said, we maybe complicated things for ourselves, but we recovered well in the race and in Silverstone we need to do a better weekend in general.”
Two-time champion Alonso now trails Vettel by 36 points in the drivers’ championship with one-third of the season gone.
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 12
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 19
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 3