Jun 9, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Jean-Eric Vergne is delighted to have recorded his best-ever finish in Formula One at the Canadian Grand Prix, taking the checkered flag in 6th place which was made all the better for the Frenchman as the race was run in dry conditions.
“Incredible! I’m very happy. The best result for me of course, but also the highest finishing position since Vettel’s results for the team in 2008,” Vergne explained in a team statement. “It is even more satisfying, because it was a normal race in the dry, with no one going out in front of me so we achieved this position fair and square.”
Vergne feared that he would not even finish in the top sixteen yesterday in qualifying, but his record as a wet-weather specialist meant that many expected him to drop back during the dry race. Instead, he ran strongly to pass Bottas early on and hold it together to pick up eight valuable points.
“It’s a great result for the team as we are making progress race by race and it’s very encouraging for the rest of the season. It wasn’t too complicated, because we had the pace to maintain that position, although we did not have the speed of those ahead.”
Despite scoring such a great result, Vergne is confident that Toro Rosso can do even better in 2013.
“We must continue to push hard on the development of the car, starting with the next race at Silverstone, so that we can aim even higher than this.”
As well as aiding Toro Rosso’s cause, Vergne may have put himself in pole position to join Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next season thanks to this result.
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1