Jun 9, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Jean-Eric Vergne is delighted to have recorded his best-ever finish in Formula One at the Canadian Grand Prix, taking the checkered flag in 6th place which was made all the better for the Frenchman as the race was run in dry conditions.
“Incredible! I’m very happy. The best result for me of course, but also the highest finishing position since Vettel’s results for the team in 2008,” Vergne explained in a team statement. “It is even more satisfying, because it was a normal race in the dry, with no one going out in front of me so we achieved this position fair and square.”
Vergne feared that he would not even finish in the top sixteen yesterday in qualifying, but his record as a wet-weather specialist meant that many expected him to drop back during the dry race. Instead, he ran strongly to pass Bottas early on and hold it together to pick up eight valuable points.
“It’s a great result for the team as we are making progress race by race and it’s very encouraging for the rest of the season. It wasn’t too complicated, because we had the pace to maintain that position, although we did not have the speed of those ahead.”
Despite scoring such a great result, Vergne is confident that Toro Rosso can do even better in 2013.
“We must continue to push hard on the development of the car, starting with the next race at Silverstone, so that we can aim even higher than this.”
As well as aiding Toro Rosso’s cause, Vergne may have put himself in pole position to join Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next season thanks to this result.
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0