Jun 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Sauber branded the Canadian Grand Prix a “weekend to forget” after both their drivers failed to take the checkered flag.
Nico Hulkenberg collided with Caterham’s Giedo van der Garde while lapping him and both sustained race-ending damage.
And although Esteban Gutierrez was among the classified finishers he crashed while exiting the pit lane seven laps from home. He had been trying to complete the race with a single pit stop but found the tire degradation was too severe and had to make a late pit stop.
Head of track engineering Tom McCullough said the team had expected a difficult weekend: “The circuit’s characteristics were going to make it a hard day for our car.”
“Ultimately it was a double DNF, which is very disappointing. On the strategy side we attempted a one stop with Esteban and a two stop with Nico, which was the base strategy today.
“But ultimately the tire degradation and wear were too high for Esteban, so we had to convert to a two stopper late in the race and unfortunately he had the incident exiting the pits.”
Van der Garde was ruled to be at fault in the collision with Hulkenberg, the stewards noting he had taken a lap to let the Sauber driver pass him. “Lapping can be troublesome, but these guys are racing too and have things happenings in the race, the same as us,” said Hulkenberg.
“I lapped Giedo van der Garde and braked. At first I didn’t feel anything until I came out of the corner and realized the car wasn’t going straight, so we decided to stop.”
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 2
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 5
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0