Jun 10, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Step one, get married. Step two, deliver on track.
Maybe that wasn’t originally how 2011 Daytona 500 champion Trevor Bayne drew things up of late, but that’s how they have transpired.
Bayne’s been mired in a bit of a career slump since that shock win in only his second ever NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start. This year, back in a full-time Nationwide Series ride, Bayne took over the No. 6 Ford that Ricky Stenhouse Jr. has driven to back-to-back series championships.
Last Tuesday, he tied the knot with longtime girlfriend Ashton, ahead of the Nationwide race at Iowa Speedway. That was a good thing for the 22-year-old on the personal front.
But it had been a tough slog racing-wise until Sunday in Iowa, which had been rain-delayed by a day. Bayne’s car was set up for long runs and in the final stretch of the race, it absolutely came alive.
Bayne caught in erstwhile dominant race leader Austin Dillon despite being more than two seconds behind him. After a side-by-side battle for a couple laps, Bayne emerged ahead on lap 239 in the 250-lap DuPont Pioneer 250.
“I knew we’d catch (Austin), but once I got to him, you could really see that he was frustrated,” Bayne told NASCAR.com after his first win of the season, and second in his Nationwide career.
“I just stayed behind him for a couple of laps to let him cool off. If he was frustrated, I didn’t want to take a chance on anything. There was a time where I cleared him and I was able to drive away enough to where he couldn’t get back to my bumper and try to cross us over, so that’s where I made the pass.”
Bayne’s win is only the third in 12 starts by a NASCAR Nationwide Series regular this year, with Regan Smith and Sam Hornish Jr., 1-2 in the points standings, scoring the other two. The Nationwide race at Iowa was also the first standalone event of the year for the second-tier series, which often shares Sprint Cup weekends.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1