Vettel ‘lucky there was no wall’ after late mistake

Jun 10, 2013, 11:00 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Race Getty Images

Sebastian Vettel admitted he was fortunate to avoid retirement after going off the track late in the Canadian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver ran wide at the first corner during his final stint and had to cut across the tarmac run-off on the inside of turn two to keep going.

“I was a little bit too late into the first corner, lost the rear on the way in,” Vettel explained. “I could have stayed on the track but I wasn’t sure.”

“It was quite tight, obviously you have the right-hander following immediately and I didn’t want to risk a spin so I decided to cut and make sure. I lost four or five seconds in that corner compared to normal, so I think it was fine.”

“It just seemed to be the safer option to avoid the spin and carry on that way. I was just a little bit too fast. That’s what happens. Fortunately there was no wall so I was lucky.”

Vettel did touch a wall at turn four earlier the race, but was able to continue without damage. He later admitted he hadn’t realized he’d hit it:

“I was pushing very hard, especially at the beginning of the race – I had a moment when I hit the wall, but I didn’t feel it, I was trying to get away from the field, as you don’t know what will happen towards the end.

“It turned out that we could control things in the later stages, but you don’t know that, so I was just trying to push all the time and stay in the rhythm.”

1. wallio - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Odd that the world feed didn’t show this?

• indycarseries500 - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

They did…like 50 times

I’m not just saying this because it was Vettel but I wish they still had gravel there. He suffered no damage nor was slown down by running off course. Remember when Alonso did the same thing in the McLaren a few years ago and how his car wasn’t the same after that and caused him to do that 2 or 3 more times and got to the point where Sato passed him in the Super Aguri?

• purplesectornet - Jun 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I think they are getting rid of gravel because it can pitch the car up and it can start rolling…

2. wallio - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Really? When? They showed him clipping the wall like 50 times, but I don’t recall seeing him go down a “runaway” road. Regardless, I agree more gravel at all tracks is better.

• apexassassin - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

They showed it on Sky and Nbc a bunch of times. And he was hardly the only driver to do so. Personally I was glad he was going for fast lap, added another aspect to what some might consider a boring Canadian GP considering previous events and the choatic qualifying.

Not that it matters, but he chose to allow a backmarker to continue through turn 2 so he could safely re-enter the course and like he says above lost 4-5 just doing that… he lost 7-10 seconds total.

And didn’t they pull up the gravel there because of the wall and fear that driver could skim across the gravel and into the wall? I think that was the story, dont’ quote me though.

3. purplesectornet - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Well its kind of hard to fault Vettel for always pushing now (most of the time)…because he built a big enough cushion to make that mistake and not lose the race…still must drive the pit-wall crazy though…

• apexassassin - Jun 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Lol, now you know why Horner’s foot is always twitching! :P
      Can you imagine how much ant-acid he must use!

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches