Jun 11, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
With the intense spotlight of Indianapolis over, for Carlos Munoz, Peter Dempsey and the rest of the Firestone Indy Lights Series, it’s back to a sense of normalcy this weekend at The Milwaukee Mile.
Indy Lights did not make the trip to Detroit or Texas in the last two weeks, and unlike its IZOD IndyCar Series brethren, crews will have actually had time to rest up and prep the cars from the low downforce setup at Indy to the high downforce one at Milwaukee for this week’s 100-lap race.
That actually bettered his “day job” result, since he was only fourth at the flag in the simply epic finish to the Lights’ Firestone Freedom 100 – which Dempsey won right at the yard of bricks.
Although Dempsey is in his third year of Lights competition, he’ll be racing at Milwaukee for the first time in a Lights car. In 2011, his team withdrew after qualifying, alleging there was cheating done by another team. Last year, he missed Milwaukee after parting ways with another team.
Munoz finished fifth in last year’s Milwaukee Indy Lights race. He enters this Saturday’s race (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network) 27 points clear of Dempsey. Only eight points separates Dempsey in second, Gabby Chaves in third, Sage Karam in fourth and Jack Hawksworth in fifth.
The field is likely to return back to single-digit entries after back-to-back races in double-digits.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)