Jun 11, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel’s assault on the Formula One record books with Red Bull Racing will continue through at least 2015, the team announced Tuesday.
Vettel, who has three wins in the opening seven rounds of the 2013 season as he seeks his fourth consecutive World Championship, has signed a two-year extension to remain at the Milton Keynes-based squad. Contract details were not disclosed.
All bar one of his victories have come with Red Bull since he was promoted to the team from Scuderia Toro Rosso ahead of the 2009 season. He was second in that year’s World Championship to Jenson Button and has maintained the No. 1 position since.
Thus far, he has won 29 Grands Prix with 51 podiums and 39 pole positions. Fernando Alonso leads all active drivers with 32 wins, good for fourth all-time. It is not inconceivable that Vettel could pass that number later this year to move behind just Michael Schumacher (91), Alain Prost (51) and Ayrton Senna (41) in the all-time wins category.
Surely, he seems primed to it with Red Bull, where he could climb as high as second behind Schumacher. The question now for 2014 is who his teammate will be, with Mark Webber more than likely out the door at year’s end.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3