Jun 12, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
The IZOD IndyCar Series will be featured in “Forza Motorsport 5,” for play on the new Xbox One console this fall. The partnership was announced Tuesday night in Los Angeles as part of “E3 2013,” where the game was unveiled.
Four teams are included, with defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay’s No. 1 DHL Andretti Autosport Chevrolet featured along with cars from Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Graham Rahal), Target Chip Ganassi Racing (Scott Dixon) and Team Penske (Will Power). The Indianapolis Motor Speedway will also be part of the game.
“INDYCAR fans have been asking to see IZOD IndyCar Series cars in a console game for some time, and partnering with industry leaders such as Microsoft and Turn 10 Studios certainly satisfies that wish,” INDYCAR executive vice president of Corporate Business Development Greg Gruning said. “We couldn’t have better partners to showcase our sport to a young, technology-driven demographic than with the platform provided by the Xbox One and ‘Forza Motorsports 5.’”
Dixon, Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan and emerging series sophomore Josef Newgarden were on hand in LA for the unveil.
The modern chariots aren’t the only open-wheel cars coming to Forza. With the 1976 Formula One season receiving renewed attention this year as the anticipation builds for Ron Howard’s “Rush,” the two cars driven by Niki Lauda and James Hunt will also make their way into the game. The legendary McLaren M23 and Ferrari 312-2 from that 1976 campaign are included as well.
- IndyCar: Graham Rahal is halfway leader at Barber 0
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0