Jun 12, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
The IZOD IndyCar Series will be featured in “Forza Motorsport 5,” for play on the new Xbox One console this fall. The partnership was announced Tuesday night in Los Angeles as part of “E3 2013,” where the game was unveiled.
Four teams are included, with defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay’s No. 1 DHL Andretti Autosport Chevrolet featured along with cars from Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Graham Rahal), Target Chip Ganassi Racing (Scott Dixon) and Team Penske (Will Power). The Indianapolis Motor Speedway will also be part of the game.
“INDYCAR fans have been asking to see IZOD IndyCar Series cars in a console game for some time, and partnering with industry leaders such as Microsoft and Turn 10 Studios certainly satisfies that wish,” INDYCAR executive vice president of Corporate Business Development Greg Gruning said. “We couldn’t have better partners to showcase our sport to a young, technology-driven demographic than with the platform provided by the Xbox One and ‘Forza Motorsports 5.’”
Dixon, Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan and emerging series sophomore Josef Newgarden were on hand in LA for the unveil.
The modern chariots aren’t the only open-wheel cars coming to Forza. With the 1976 Formula One season receiving renewed attention this year as the anticipation builds for Ron Howard’s “Rush,” the two cars driven by Niki Lauda and James Hunt will also make their way into the game. The legendary McLaren M23 and Ferrari 312-2 from that 1976 campaign are included as well.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2