Jun 12, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
It wasn’t the most exciting IndyCar race in Texas Motor Speedway history, but it was certainly one that Helio Castroneves and Team Penske will look back upon fondly. On a night where almost everybody else struggled with their tires and less downforce, Castroneves and his team found the perfect set-up and turned the Firestone 550 into a cakewalk.
As a result, the Brazilian became the all-time winningest IndyCar driver at Texas, claiming his fourth career win at the 1.5-mile high-banked oval. It also propelled him into the IZOD IndyCar Series championship lead by 22 points going into this Saturday’s Milwaukee IndyFest at the Milwaukee Mile (4 pm ET, NBC Sports Network/NBC Sports Live Extra).
However, the victory was slightly dampened yesterday with the news that his team had been penalized for an underwing violation on Castroneves’ race-winning No. 3 Chevrolet, costing them 15 entrant points and a $35,000 fine; his driver points were not affected.
Check out all the highlights from last Saturday night’s race in Texas above.
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Stewart: There’s “a lot of potential” for Danica Patrick (7)
- FIA considering pole trophy and permanent numbers (6)