Jun 12, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
It wasn’t the most exciting IndyCar race in Texas Motor Speedway history, but it was certainly one that Helio Castroneves and Team Penske will look back upon fondly. On a night where almost everybody else struggled with their tires and less downforce, Castroneves and his team found the perfect set-up and turned the Firestone 550 into a cakewalk.
As a result, the Brazilian became the all-time winningest IndyCar driver at Texas, claiming his fourth career win at the 1.5-mile high-banked oval. It also propelled him into the IZOD IndyCar Series championship lead by 22 points going into this Saturday’s Milwaukee IndyFest at the Milwaukee Mile (4 pm ET, NBC Sports Network/NBC Sports Live Extra).
However, the victory was slightly dampened yesterday with the news that his team had been penalized for an underwing violation on Castroneves’ race-winning No. 3 Chevrolet, costing them 15 entrant points and a $35,000 fine; his driver points were not affected.
Check out all the highlights from last Saturday night’s race in Texas above.
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)