Jun 12, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
It wasn’t the most exciting IndyCar race in Texas Motor Speedway history, but it was certainly one that Helio Castroneves and Team Penske will look back upon fondly. On a night where almost everybody else struggled with their tires and less downforce, Castroneves and his team found the perfect set-up and turned the Firestone 550 into a cakewalk.
As a result, the Brazilian became the all-time winningest IndyCar driver at Texas, claiming his fourth career win at the 1.5-mile high-banked oval. It also propelled him into the IZOD IndyCar Series championship lead by 22 points going into this Saturday’s Milwaukee IndyFest at the Milwaukee Mile (4 pm ET, NBC Sports Network/NBC Sports Live Extra).
However, the victory was slightly dampened yesterday with the news that his team had been penalized for an underwing violation on Castroneves’ race-winning No. 3 Chevrolet, costing them 15 entrant points and a $35,000 fine; his driver points were not affected.
Check out all the highlights from last Saturday night’s race in Texas above.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 9
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 2
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6