Jun 13, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Jean-Eric Vergne believes that his charge to P6 at the Canadian Grand Prix has given Scuderia Toro Rosso a “shot of confidence” heading into the second half of the European season.
The French driver secured his best qualifying result (7th) before having a somewhat lonely race en route to 6th place, his best finish so far in the sport.
“This is an important result,” Vergne wrote in his blog. “It shows we are doing a good job, especially at the factory. It gives everybody in the team a shot of confidence and that includes me. So much so that on Sunday evening I was having a long chat with my engineer about the next race, in Silverstone. We have to keep the momentum and I’m looking forward to racing there again.”
Vergne is refusing to become complacent, encouraging the team to keep pushing forwards and aim for an even better result at the British Grand Prix.
“I was very pleased with the result in Canada. It’s my best F1 finish and it is nice to put more points on the board. Ultimately though, the points are not that important, it’s the fact that the performance was good that is important.
“Sixth place is a good result but we need to forget it now and look forward.”
An added incentive for Vergne will be the possibility of joining Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next season, with Mark Webber poised to leave the team in the wake of the multi 21 fiasco.
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 0
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Bahrain Grand Prix (VIDEO) 1
- 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix Preview 0
- Preview: Anyone’s game as IndyCar heads to historic Long Beach 1