Jun 14, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
The manager of the Dubai Autodrome has confirmed that the circuit is interested in hosting a test ahead of the 2014 Formula One season.
Four pre-season tests are planned for next season, with the teams and tire supplier Pirelli favoring circuits in Asia due to the hot conditions which are ideal for developing cars and tires. As part of this change, Bahrain is widely expected to host the opening round of the season, whilst Abu Dhabi and Qatar are also thought to be vying for testing slots. However, Richard Birch confirmed that Dubai was also interested in welcoming Formula One for the first time.
“Of course we would welcome the opportunity to host F1 testing at our venue,” Birch told Gulf News. “We have the facilities and Dubai has all the infrastructure required for a week of testing.
“At this stage it is merely talk and speculation as the final decision is not in our hands or even been made as far as we know. But if asked in an official capacity, then we will certainly embrace the project.”
The circuit has been homologated for all FIA events including F1, making it a possibility, and it would certainly allow teams to get a feel for different circuits in order to allow for the best possible development of their cars. Finally, taking F1 to new markets such as Qatar and Dubai will only enhance the sport’s popularity and presence in the Gulf region.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)