Jun 14, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
The manager of the Dubai Autodrome has confirmed that the circuit is interested in hosting a test ahead of the 2014 Formula One season.
Four pre-season tests are planned for next season, with the teams and tire supplier Pirelli favoring circuits in Asia due to the hot conditions which are ideal for developing cars and tires. As part of this change, Bahrain is widely expected to host the opening round of the season, whilst Abu Dhabi and Qatar are also thought to be vying for testing slots. However, Richard Birch confirmed that Dubai was also interested in welcoming Formula One for the first time.
“Of course we would welcome the opportunity to host F1 testing at our venue,” Birch told Gulf News. “We have the facilities and Dubai has all the infrastructure required for a week of testing.
“At this stage it is merely talk and speculation as the final decision is not in our hands or even been made as far as we know. But if asked in an official capacity, then we will certainly embrace the project.”
The circuit has been homologated for all FIA events including F1, making it a possibility, and it would certainly allow teams to get a feel for different circuits in order to allow for the best possible development of their cars. Finally, taking F1 to new markets such as Qatar and Dubai will only enhance the sport’s popularity and presence in the Gulf region.
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 5
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)