Jun 15, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay has mastered the Milwaukee Mile for the second year in a row in the IZOD IndyCar Series.
The Andretti Autosport driver took his third win at the Mile after a storming second half of the 250-lap Milwaukee IndyFest. On lap 198 he took the lead from Takuma Sato and on a restart with 29 laps to go, Hunter-Reay held off Helio Castroneves to secure his second win of the year.
“Man I did it for that little guy, Ryden, my son,” Hunter-Reay, who is celebrating his first Father’s Day weekend as a father, said to NBC Sports Network’s Jon Beekhuis in victory lane. “We found the balance and did what we had to do to win.”
Castroneves wheeled his PPG-sponsored Team Penske No. 3 Chevrolet to second from 17th on the grid.
“We were a little conservative and had to be patient, but it was a great job from the boys,” he told NBCSN’s Kevin Lee.
Will Power secured his first podium of the year in third. He tried a late move on Castroneves for second but was unable to complete the pass, probably better given Castroneves’ championship aspirations this season.
“That was close. We wanted to race him clean,” Power said to NBCSN’s Will Buxton. “I didn’t want to squeeze him out. We just keep chipping away and help as much as we can.”
After a race-long battle, E.J. Viso held off Andretti Autosport teammate James Hinchcliffe for fourth with Scott Dixon, Takuma Sato, Dario Franchitti, Justin Wilson and Tony Kanaan in the top 10.
Viso was in contention with Hunter-Reay for the win but had a pit stop issue and traffic bite him late in the race.
Sato had the race in the bag before the final caution for Ana Beatriz’s slight contact at Turn 4. The A.J. Foyt Racing driver had scythed through the field from 15th on the grid and also benefited from an earlier caution, but lost a lap after pitting before Beatriz’s contact.
Polesitter Marco Andretti’s race was stopped short with electrical issues, and he couldn’t deliver a storybook win in his father Michael’s Andretti Sports Marketing-related race on Father’s Day weekend. That said, Hunter-Reay’s win made him three-for-three in ASM races since 2012.
He closed on Castroneves for the points lead but the Brazilian still holds the edge, 299-283 unofficially, as the series heads to Iowa Speedway next week.
WEST ALLIS, Wis. – Results Saturday of the Milwaukee IndyFest IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.015-mile Milwaukee Mile, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):
1. (4) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
2. (17) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
3. (3) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
4. (5) E.J. Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
5. (2) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 250, Running
6. (11) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 250, Running
7. (15) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 250, Running
8. (23) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 250, Running
9. (13) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 249, Running
10. (7) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 249, Running
11. (8) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 249, Running
12. (9) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 249, Running
13. (6) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 248, Running
14. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 248, Running
15. (18) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 248, Running
16. (24) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 247, Running
17. (21) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 246, Running
18. (12) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 245, Running
19. (19) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 242, Running
20. (1) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 176, Mechanical
21. (10) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 173, Mechanical
22. (14) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 152, Mechanical
23. (16) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 146, Mechanical
24. (22) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 69, Contact
Winners average speed: 136.848
Time of Race: 01:51:15.2962
Margin of victory: 4.8059
Cautions: 4 for 29 laps
Lead changes: 11 among 6 drivers
Andretti 1 – 61
Hunter-Reay 62 – 66
Power 67 – 68
Sato 69 – 90
Viso 92 – 99
Sato 100 – 156
Hunter-Reay 157 – 163
Viso 164 – 165
Power 166 – 167
Sato 168 – 197
Hunter-Reay 198 – 250
Point Standings: Castroneves 299, Hunter-Reay 283, Andretti 249, Sato 223, Dixon 221, Kanaan 215, Pagenaud 212, Wilson 207, Hinchcliffe 206, Franchitti 192.
Aug 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
NASCAR Trucks race at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park this weekend. Will they be able to match up with the 2013 edition?
Aug 27, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Skeleton Bronze medalist Matt Antoine goes for two-seater ride with Arie Luyendyk in Milwaukee.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Scott Hargrove looks to secure Porsche GT3 Canada title while his season-long rival in both Porsche and Pro Mazda, Spencer Pigot, looks to play spoiler.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon will make his 750th Sprint Cup start at Atlanta this weekend, the site of his first in 1992, and also the site of another record he’ll hit next year.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel’s getting a new chassis for Monza, and a new engineer for 2015 at Red Bull.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
With Fontana this weekend, we take a look back at Gil de Ferran’s closed course speed record in 2000.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Promotional poster for the COTA FIA WEC event features some rather bizarre car choices to promote the race.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
IndyCar will formally confirm the addition of New Orleans to its 2015 schedule later Wednesday.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:23 AM EDT
MotorSportsTalk sorts out fact from fiction regarding the yet-to-be-revealed 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series schedule, based on hints from today’s NASCAR schedule release.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
NASCAR star Kevin Harvick has never been afraid to speak his mind. But the Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy has caused him to be more judicious in what he says and also “frustrated” at how the media has dealt with the entire incident.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
The long-awaited release of the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup schedule was much less of the surprise many expected. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Brad Keselowski won his first Camping World Truck Series race last Thursday at Bristol, but his and two other teams have been dinged by NASCAR after their Trucks failed post-race height requirements.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT
Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR’s executive vice president of racing operations, explains the factors that influence how the final racing schedule is created.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
The NASCAR AMERICA crew make their initial observations of the 2015 Sprint Cup docket (Hint: They’re really happy about Darlington returning to Labor Day weekend).
Aug 26, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
NBC Sports Group begins its 2015 NASCAR race coverage on July 4th (Nationwide) and 5th (Sprint Cup) from Daytona International Speedway.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The big moment is almost here. Click this post for stream links to today’s special edition of NASCAR AMERICA – featuring the announcement of the 2015 NASCAR schedule!
Aug 26, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s the first of a planned four-book series that’s designed to help kids be more self-confident and make good choices.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Notes and numbers to keep in mind as NASCAR sets up shop in Atlanta this weekend.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The new Lamborghini Huracán LP 620-2 Super Trofeo has been officially revealed in the last week, and will race in the single-make Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo series.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Hamilton also vows that he won’t be out for revenge against Rosberg at the upcoming Italian Grand Prix.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 1
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 70
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 10
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1