Jun 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
- This is “Big Three” country: As noted earlier this week, all Indy Racing League/INDYCAR-sanctioned races at the Milwaukee Mile have been won by drivers from the stables of Team Penske, Andretti Autosport and Target Chip Ganassi Racing. All four Andretti pilots (including pole sitter Marco Andretti) and Penske’s Will Power have locked out the Top 5 starting positions for today’s grid, but don’t count out TCGR’s Scott Dixon (starting 11th), who was roaring to the front last year at Milwaukee until a mistaken restart penalty ruined his race. His teammate, Dario Franchitti, has also been traditionally stout here, too (two wins, five podiums in IRL/IndyCar competition).
- Damn this traffic jam: It’s a fact of life on short ovals like Milwaukee (as well as next week’s track, the 7/8-mile Iowa Speedway) – you’re gonna deal with lapped traffic on a regular basis. Leaders must dispose of back-markers quickly lest they get caught behind them and allow their pursuers to catch up; a car that’s capable of performing well around others will be important to have this afternoon.
- Keep your eye on Kanaan: If you’re doing the fantasy racing thing (and you’re smart about it), then you’ve likely already put the Indianapolis 500 champ on your team this weekend for Milwaukee. Tony Kanaan has two wins at the Mile (2006, 2007) and was runner-up last year to Ryan Hunter-Reay. In his last eight starts at the Mile, he’s finished no worse than fourth in six of them. Don’t be surprised if he’s the guy that leads the group outside of those aforementioned “Big Three” squads.
- More people in the stands?: Michael Andretti and his group worked their butts off to keep racing alive at the Mile, and they were rewarded last season with a solid turnout estimated at 25,000. This year, they’re hoping for a bigger crowd that can help continue their efforts to cement the Mile’s place on the schedule. We’ll see if the race fans in Milwaukee come through and help their own cause; the Mile is an open-wheel cornerstone that’s held in high regard by longtime followers of the sport. It’d be nice to see it on the docket for years to come.
IZOD IndyCar Series – Milwaukee IndyFest
78-Simona de Silvestro
10-Dario Franchitti (penalized, engine)
15-Graham Rahal (penalized, engine)
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 9
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0