Jun 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
- This is “Big Three” country: As noted earlier this week, all Indy Racing League/INDYCAR-sanctioned races at the Milwaukee Mile have been won by drivers from the stables of Team Penske, Andretti Autosport and Target Chip Ganassi Racing. All four Andretti pilots (including pole sitter Marco Andretti) and Penske’s Will Power have locked out the Top 5 starting positions for today’s grid, but don’t count out TCGR’s Scott Dixon (starting 11th), who was roaring to the front last year at Milwaukee until a mistaken restart penalty ruined his race. His teammate, Dario Franchitti, has also been traditionally stout here, too (two wins, five podiums in IRL/IndyCar competition).
- Damn this traffic jam: It’s a fact of life on short ovals like Milwaukee (as well as next week’s track, the 7/8-mile Iowa Speedway) – you’re gonna deal with lapped traffic on a regular basis. Leaders must dispose of back-markers quickly lest they get caught behind them and allow their pursuers to catch up; a car that’s capable of performing well around others will be important to have this afternoon.
- Keep your eye on Kanaan: If you’re doing the fantasy racing thing (and you’re smart about it), then you’ve likely already put the Indianapolis 500 champ on your team this weekend for Milwaukee. Tony Kanaan has two wins at the Mile (2006, 2007) and was runner-up last year to Ryan Hunter-Reay. In his last eight starts at the Mile, he’s finished no worse than fourth in six of them. Don’t be surprised if he’s the guy that leads the group outside of those aforementioned “Big Three” squads.
- More people in the stands?: Michael Andretti and his group worked their butts off to keep racing alive at the Mile, and they were rewarded last season with a solid turnout estimated at 25,000. This year, they’re hoping for a bigger crowd that can help continue their efforts to cement the Mile’s place on the schedule. We’ll see if the race fans in Milwaukee come through and help their own cause; the Mile is an open-wheel cornerstone that’s held in high regard by longtime followers of the sport. It’d be nice to see it on the docket for years to come.
IZOD IndyCar Series – Milwaukee IndyFest
78-Simona de Silvestro
10-Dario Franchitti (penalized, engine)
15-Graham Rahal (penalized, engine)
Aug 23, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
The 450 Class championship battle between Ryan Dungey and Ken Roczen has come down to the final race of the season. Who will leave Utah with a title in hand?
Aug 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Fourth place a welcome surprise for Fernando Alonso and Ferrari.
WATCH LIVE: Utah National qualifying and pre-show at 1 p.m. ET; Tomac, Martin currently top the charts
Aug 23, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
The final round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship has arrived. Watch the second qualifying session at 1 p.m. ET and the pre-show at 2:15 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Live Extra.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, Bianchi managed to upset some of the bigger names during qualifying at Spa.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series had raced at the track “Too Tough To Tame” on Labor Day weekend from 1950-2003.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
P18 on the grid goes down as the Hulk’s second-worst qualifying result in F1.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Defending world champion qualifies a distant third behind the two Mercedes cars on Saturday at Spa.
Aug 23, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
2008 world champion secures his first top five qualifying result since the Canadian Grand Prix back in June.
Aug 23, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Mercedes locks out the front row of the grid for the first time since the Canadian Grand Prix back in June, with Rosberg claiming pole at one of the sport’s most famous circuits.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Lewis wants to beat Rosberg when the German is at the peak of his powers, as the two drivers fight for this year’s F1 world title.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
German driver takes pole at a damp Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps on Saturday afternoon.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
The Ferrari driver took the plunge after being nominated by Felipe Massa and soccer player Juan Manuel Mata.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
You can watch qualifying from Spa-Francorchamps live on CNBC and Live Extra from 8am ET.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
The Daytona round of the Red Bull Global Rallycross is a key one and kicks off the second half of the 2014 season. Here’s more from Kristen Kenney heading into the weekend.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT
Sainz was expected to get the Toro Rosso drive, but was rejected in favor of 16-year-old Max Verstappen.
Aug 23, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
Red Bull’s chief technical officer isn’t getting his hopes up for this weekend’s race at Spa.
Aug 23, 2014, 6:03 AM EDT
Williams finishes practice for the Belgian GP with a flourish.
Aug 23, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT
One final chance for the drivers and teams to get to grips with Spa ahead of qualifying later today.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
Dramatic day for Pro Mazda, USF2000 Friday in Sonoma.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rosberg tames wet conditions to claim Belgian GP pole 0
- Bottas breaks Mercedes’ stranglehold at Spa by topping FP3 0
- Ryan Blaney passes Kyle Busch on final restart, hangs on to win Nationwide race at Bristol 1
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 1
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 1
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 1