Jun 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Phuket could be in line to host the first grand prix in Thailand after it was confirmed that Bangkok will not be able to welcome Formula One in 2015.
Bernie Ecclestone has been a big advocate for taking Formula One to Thailand, but a proposed route around the streets of Bangkok met widespread criticism due to its lack of challenging corners or characteristics. Instead, Thailand’s sports’ minister Somask Pureesrisrak has revealed to the Bangkok Post that efforts are being made to take F1 to Phuket.
“I can confirm that we cannot hold a grand prix on Ratchadamnoen Avenue [in Bangkok],” the sports’ minister explained. “The law, which took effect last month, prohibits a car racing event in inner Bangkok.
“Phuket should be an ideal venue which meets our target to promote tourism. We still have time to prepare for the race.”
Therefore, Formula One could be set to welcome a 22nd race onto the calendar in 2015, although it is likely that the teams will push to reduce this number to 20 in order to give their personnel time to rest between races and in the off-season.
2014 is already poised to become the busiest season yet, with almost 30 F1 events planned (21 races, 4 pre-season tests, 4 in-season tests), and the addition of the Thailand GP will only add to this congestion.
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 1
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)