Jun 16, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
- Helio, Dario are the hard chargers: Three-time Indianapolis 500 winners Helio Castroneves and Dario Franchitti certainly earned their paychecks yesterday at Milwaukee, as each jumped 15 positions from where they started at the drop of the green. Castroneves came from 17th to a runner-up finish, while Dario Franchitti moved from 23rd to eighth at the finish.
Franchitti, a two-time winner on the Mile, overcame an engine penalty that had dropped him 10 spots on the grid from where he qualified on Friday. However, he complained of how tough it was to cut through traffic and wondered if INDYCAR officials needed to step in and possibly make some changes.
“The cars are so close, so the series might be a victim of their own success right now,” said Franchitti. “We need to start allowing something to differentiate when guys get it right and wrong.”
- Chevy dominates: At a flat one mile in length, Milwaukee isn’t necessarily a power track, instead putting the emphasis on handling and how you deal with lapped traffic. Nevertheless, Chevrolet can still crow a bit after securing its second consecutive sweep of the Top 5 positions with winner Ryan Hunter-Reay, Helio Castroneves, Will Power, E.J. Viso and James Hinchcliffe. The Bowtie Brigade also locked out the Top 5 one weekend ago at Texas Motor Speedway.
Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon led the Honda camp with a sixth-place showing despite having to deal with understeer issues.
- Off to Le Mans for Briscoe: The Milwaukee IndyFest started a very busy week for Ryan Briscoe, who made his third start of the season in the No. 4 Panther Racing Chevrolet. Briscoe, who finished 15th on Saturday, is a full-time American Le Mans Series driver for Level 5 Motorsports, and he’s competing with them in next weekend’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.
He took part in the official test day last weekend at Circuit de la Sarthe and then arrived in Milwaukee for his Panther duties on Thursday. Shortly after racing on Saturday, he was heading off back to France to continue preparing for his rookie run in the famous sports car race.
“The travel hasn’t been that bad,” Briscoe told IndyCar.com. “It’s not that big a time difference and the flight is about the same as going out to the West Coast…For me, this is a lot better than sitting home and watching, so I’m very appreciative of the opportunity I’ve got at Panther.”
Aug 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
In the year of the power unit, Spa is rewarding the Mercedes-powered teams.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Russian GP3 debutante Konstantin Tereschenko goes for a wild ride at Spa, but mercifully emerges unscathed.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
The Chip Ganassi Racing driver turns a lap of 131.083 mph around the high-banked half-mile to lead Friday’s first practice session.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
As good as he may be, is Max Verstappen too young to be racing up against drivers twice his age?
Aug 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Son of ex-racer Jos set to become the youngest ever F1 driver next season at the age of 17.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
At 13th on the Chase Grid with three regular season races left, the former Sprint Cup champion isn’t feeling the need to choose between going for a win or having a good points day.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Mercedes once again dominated practice, finishing first and second in both sessions on Friday at Spa.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Lotus being punished by Spa’s high-speed nature.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Without IndyCar on track on Friday, Friday will be an abnormal day on track at Sonoma Raceway.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
When he’s not racing in Red Bull Global Rallycross, Scott Speed shows Kristen Kenney the way around a golf course.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Lotus driver crashed hard in FP2, but said that it looked bigger than it actually was.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Ortho will debut on the No. 16 car next weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway and make two more appearances this year before becoming an “anchor partner” of the team in 2015.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Immediately on the pace despite not having driven an F1 car in over ten years.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Defending F1 world champion is concerned about penalties due to engine component changes later in the season.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
Another practice, another Mercedes one-two…
Aug 22, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Will Rosberg and Hamilton continue to lead the way during practice at Spa?
Aug 22, 2014, 7:20 AM EDT
All of the latest news and interviews from the paddock at Spa-Francorchamps ahead of this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:46 AM EDT
Three of F1’s field take on the ice bucket challenge in aid of ALS.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:00 AM EDT
German driver not dwelling on Hamilton’s flouting of team orders in Hungary.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:32 AM EDT
Mercedes’ runaway train shows few signs of slowing down in 2014.
- Hamilton strikes back to top FP2 ahead of Rosberg in Belgium 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Belgian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Rosberg leads Hamilton in first Belgian GP practice 0
- Chilton to race in Belgium after all; Rossi denied F1 debut 4
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the Belgian Grand Prix 0
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0
- F1, IndyCar, Red Bull GRC highlight jam-packed motorsports weekend on networks of NBC 0