Jun 16, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Just when you thought tiregate was nearing its conclusion, some new evidence may have come to light. Mercedes are rumored to have a letter from the FIA’s race director Charlie Whiting permitting the test undertaken at the Circuit de Catalunya following the Spanish Grand Prix.
As reported by The Guardian, the letter could give Mercedes a better chance of escaping the FIA tribunal, due to be held in four days’ time, without any major charges. The team is thought to be facing a big penalty after they completed a 1000km tire test in Barcelona using their 2013 car, which, under the regulations, is strictly forbidden.
However, Pirelli’s contract with the sport is rumored to allow such a test to take place, relying that all of the teams are informed and agree to it. With Red Bull and Ferrari both lodging protests over the matter at the Monaco Grand Prix though, it appears that this may not have occurred.
The letter would undermine the FIA’s attempt to prosecute Mercedes, with their very own delegate (Whiting) allowing the test to happen. Additionally, Ross Brawn has made clear on more than one occasion that he would not have gone ahead with the test unless he was confident that the team remained within the rules.
Either way, tiregate could be set to rumble on.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 5
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)