Jun 16, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Leading by 3.6 seconds, Kasey Kahne has slammed into the Turn 2 wall, bringing out the yellow at Lap 104 of today’s Sprint Cup race at Michigan International Speedway and triggering a wave of pit stops under caution.
Kahne had taken the lead from Earnhardt on Lap 90 and was pulling away until his accident. He had started third on the most recent Lap 81 restart, which was led by Earnhardt and another HMS teammate, Jimmie Johnson. Both cars appeared to have wheel spin on the restart, but while Earnhardt recovered, Johnson fell back after being hit in the rear by Martin Truex Jr. as the field stacked up behind them.
“Hope you’re happy NASCAR, I did what you’d wanted me to do. And I got wrecked,” Johnson said afterwards over his radio according to TNT – presumably, a reference to NASCAR’s restart penalty against him two weeks ago at Dover International Speedway.
Johnson had clawed his way back to third place as of Lap 100 of 200, showing a stout pace himself. The Sprint Cup championship leader, who has never won at Michigan, had held the lead from Lap 64 to a debris yellow at Lap 76. He then lost the race off pit road to teammate Earnhardt one lap later.
Matt Kenseth and Kevin Harvick were having solid days, crossing halfway in fourth and fifth respectively.
Earlier, Kurt Busch quickly took the lead from pole sitter Carl Edwards after the green flag dropped, and led the opening 21 laps of the race. But on Lap 29, he lost control of a loose car while running fourth and hit the wall in Turn 2. He has now fallen multiple laps down as a result.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52