Jun 16, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
After taking part in his first Indianapolis 500 last month, American young gun Conor Daly has netted his first victory this season in the GP3 series in Race 1 at Valencia, Spain.
Daly claimed pole for Race 1 and led wire-to-wire, with ART Grand Prix teammate Facu Regalia coming home behind him in second (1.2 seconds back) to make a 1-2 finish for the outfit. However, he may be in trouble with race stewards, as Autosport passes along word that his post-race celebration of “driving the wrong direction after the checkered flag” was under review.
“It was hard to keep [Regalia] behind at the beginning but when we got to the halfway point, I was able to establish a bit of a gap for the rest of the race,” Daly said afterwards in a post-race press conference. “Our tires held up really well so I was happy with that. I thought at the start, I may have been pushing too hard, but I had to do that to keep in front of [Regalia].
“It was a tough game, but at the end, the tires were still there and very happy to have a strong pace all the way through.”
Daly followed up his win in Race 1 with an eighth-place effort in Race 2, which puts him second in the GP3 championship at four points off of leader Tio Ellinas (55-51). Ellinas finished sixth and fourth in the two races at Circuit Ricardo Tormo.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 4
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 4
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 17
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 1
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)