Jun 16, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
After taking part in his first Indianapolis 500 last month, American young gun Conor Daly has netted his first victory this season in the GP3 series in Race 1 at Valencia, Spain.
Daly claimed pole for Race 1 and led wire-to-wire, with ART Grand Prix teammate Facu Regalia coming home behind him in second (1.2 seconds back) to make a 1-2 finish for the outfit. However, he may be in trouble with race stewards, as Autosport passes along word that his post-race celebration of “driving the wrong direction after the checkered flag” was under review.
“It was hard to keep [Regalia] behind at the beginning but when we got to the halfway point, I was able to establish a bit of a gap for the rest of the race,” Daly said afterwards in a post-race press conference. “Our tires held up really well so I was happy with that. I thought at the start, I may have been pushing too hard, but I had to do that to keep in front of [Regalia].
“It was a tough game, but at the end, the tires were still there and very happy to have a strong pace all the way through.”
Daly followed up his win in Race 1 with an eighth-place effort in Race 2, which puts him second in the GP3 championship at four points off of leader Tio Ellinas (55-51). Ellinas finished sixth and fourth in the two races at Circuit Ricardo Tormo.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25