Jun 17, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
Ex-Indy Lights driver Gustavo Yacaman has made a name for himself in the last two GRAND-AM Rolex Series races, albeit I’m guessing not in the manner he or his team would like.
Two weeks ago in Detroit, Yacaman attempted a pass on Memo Rojas’ No. 01 Cessna-sponsored Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates BMW Riley at Turn 4. Yacaman released off wide and pushed Rojas into the concrete barrier, which sent him then careening back across the track into the path of John Pew – Yacaman’s teammate at Michael Shank Racing.
The damaged No. 60 MSR Ford Riley was sent to Riley Technologies for repairs, and made it back to the track in time for this weekend’s race at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Yacaman was placed on probation for the Detroit contact.
But as fate would have it, Yacaman and Rojas would be at it again in the early stages. Yacaman made a move to Rojas’ inside at Turn 6 at Mid-Ohio, a right-hander that leads into the Esses.
Rojas ran wide as Yacaman made it through, but mere moments later he slid off the road into the gravel, then returned to the track with his No. 6 Ford Riley on fire. Yacaman parked the car just left of the racing line and near a concrete barrier.
It has left Shank another mountain to climb in the two weeks before the team’s next race, the Sahlen’s Six Hours at the Glen at Watkins Glen International, on June 29. But as the team owner has tweeted (@MichaelShankRac) on Monday, repairs are already underway, and don’t rule out a return for that race.
The repaired, rebuilt No. 60 Roberts Electrical Construction Co. Ford Riley finished fourth in the hands of Pew and returning co-driver Ozz Negri. Joao Barbosa and Christian Fittipaldi won the race overall.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3