Jun 18, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
Ferrari has crunched the numbers from the first seven Grands Prix of the 2013 Formula One season and determined it has been one of the top overtaking teams this year.
That highlights the team’s qualifying gap to Red Bull and Mercedes this year – Ferrari is yet to take a pole position – but nonetheless proves the overtaking prowess of its two drivers, Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.
In combined overtakes, Lotus leads the field on 46 with Ferrari just one back at 45 (Massa 25, Alonso 20). There have been 308 recorded passing moves in 2013, thanks to the combination of tire degradation, DRS, KERS and, when driver aids aren’t present on the opening couple laps, bravery.
In terms of most places gained from start to finish, Ferrari leads that chart with 34, one ahead of Lotus.
Without DRS enabled, Ferrari has been a fast mover on the opening lap. It’s gained 12 positions from the lights going out to the end of Lap 1 this season, a mark two clear of McLaren and Caterham.
It’s good to see the drivers have taken advantage in races from poor grid positions, but still is a sign of how far Ferrari will need to come in the rest of the season if it wants to close the gap in either championship.
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)