Jun 18, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Lotus F1 Team had been wholly owned by Genii Capital, but on Tuesday the Enstone-based squad announced a sale of 35 percent stake of the team to a new investor group called Infinity Racing Partners Limited.
Noting the spelling, this Infinity is not at all related to Infiniti, the car manufacturer that sponsors Red Bull. Infinity is, according to the Formula One official website, an investment consortium comprised of private investors from America, Abu Dhabi and royal family interests of an unnamed oil producing nation.
Lotus’ two top management members will retain their positions. Lotus F1 chairman Gerard Lopez will continue in that role and Eric Lux, CEO of Genii, will sit on the team’s Board of Directors.
“As Lotus F1 Team results have continued to improve every year, we have been waiting for the right investor who will help make the jump to the top spot in the Constructors’ Championship,” said Lux.
“In Infinity Racing, we have found a partner with the right connections in addition to technological expertise and a global reach in major markets with key sponsors to achieve this goal. We look forward to working with Infinity Racing as we continue on this exciting journey.”
It’s been a slight year of upheaval at Lotus. Earlier this year, the team’s technical director James Allison quit the team, but Kimi Raikkonen said shortly thereafter he thought they could weather the storm.
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- An anti-climactic race in China ahead of F1′s return to Europe 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)