Jun 18, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Sooner or later, it seems every team in the Formula One paddock might be interconnected by way of similar names or branding.
The latest chapter came Tuesday, as Lotus announced a 35 percent sale to an investment consortium called Infinity.
And now we begin our six degrees of Kevin Bacon to describe the tangential relationships up and down the paddock that eventually leads us back to Lotus:
- Lotus’ new stakeholder, Infinity, is not related to Infiniti, the car manufacturer that sponsors Red Bull (the team formerly known as Jaguar and Stewart).
- Genii Capital, which still maintains majority ownership of Lotus, has its CEO named Eric Lux. This is the Lux that Force India driver Adrian Sutil had the incident with outside a nightclub after the 2011 Chinese Grand Prix. This incident indirectly led to Sutil’s 2012 hiatus from F1.
- There is also a Lotus competing at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Lotus T128 Pragas in the LMP2 class that last year, had Colin Kolles as a part of its management team. Kolles was part of Force India’s management team, when it was any of Jordan, Midland, MF1 and Spyker, before it became Force India.
- Another Eric Lux, an American Le Mans Series PC class champion and prototype driver, is competing at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans for Caterham – which has taken over branding of the Greaves Motorsport-run Zytek ZS11 Nissan in LMP2, and has a co-driver of Alexander Rossi.
- Rossi is the reserve driver for Caterham in F1. Caterham began life as, you guessed it, Lotus Racing.
- The F1 team that is now Caterham was Lotus, and the team that is now Lotus has previously been Renault, Benetton, and Toleman.
Confused yet? We’ll let you mull it over before giving out the test later on.
Video from NASCAR America
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 0
- With nothing to lose, IndyCar title contender Pagenaud charges into Fontana 0
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 20
- Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 20
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15