Jun 18, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Making several stops around the Windy City, Smith, who won Saturday’s NNS race at Michigan, and Pastrana sold ice cream bars as part in an event promoting the upcoming July 19-21 Nationwide Series race weekend at Chicagoland Speedway.
At a suggested donation of $1 per, Smith sold traditional ice cream sandwiches, while Pastrana, befitting of his — shall we say, more adventurous — persona, sold “bomb pops” to folks passing by and looking for ways to cool off from the heat and humidity.
When the event was over, the two drivers had sold over $600 worth of ice cream, with Smith edging Pastrana at the finish line, so to speak, outselling his rival by a mere $2 in total proceeds. With a healthy additional donation by Chicagoland Speedway’s R.A.C.E.Foundation, a total of $2,000 was raised to benefit the Charlie Dean Leffler Charity Fund, a trust fund established for the five-year-old son of NASCAR driver Jason Leffler. The elder Leffler was tragically killed in a wreck during a dirt track race last week in New Jersey.
“This was my first trip to downtown Chicago and we had a great time out here while raising money for a cause near and dear to our hearts,” said Smith, the current NNS points leader. “I want to thank everyone who came out today to help us raise money. We will see you this July at Chicagoland Speedway.”
Pastrana, an 11-time X-Games gold medalist before making a career switch to the NASCAR world — he’s in his first full season on the Nationwide circuit — couldn’t help getting in a bit of good-natured trash talking about Smith.
“I’ve spent a lot of time in Chicago over the years and it’s always one of my favorite places to be,” Pastrana said. “Regan edged me out there at the end today, although I still think he might have taken some liberties with self-funding. We enjoyed getting to meet everyone and we’re excited to be back here two more times this season (Chicagoland Speedway will also host a second NNS race on the opening weekend of the Chase for the Sprint Cup, Sept. 13-15).”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 89
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1