Jun 19, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
One week after he tragically was killed in a dirt track racing crash in New Jersey, the motorsports world said goodbye to Jason Leffler on Wednesday.
An overflow crowd packed Grace Covenant Church in Cornelius, N.C., for Leffler’s funeral service. About 600 miles to the north, Indianapolis Motor Speedway paid tribute to Leffler by illuminating the scoreboard atop the track’s famous pagoda with the number 50 — the number Leffler’s car carried when he ran in the 2000 Indianapolis 500 — as well as the years 1975 and 2013, marking his birth and death.
Many of Leffler’s fans as well as friends within the racing world took to Twitter after the one hour-plus memorial to share their grief and feelings.
Here is a sampling of those testimonials:
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1