Jun 19, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
One week after he tragically was killed in a dirt track racing crash in New Jersey, the motorsports world said goodbye to Jason Leffler on Wednesday.
An overflow crowd packed Grace Covenant Church in Cornelius, N.C., for Leffler’s funeral service. About 600 miles to the north, Indianapolis Motor Speedway paid tribute to Leffler by illuminating the scoreboard atop the track’s famous pagoda with the number 50 — the number Leffler’s car carried when he ran in the 2000 Indianapolis 500 — as well as the years 1975 and 2013, marking his birth and death.
Many of Leffler’s fans as well as friends within the racing world took to Twitter after the one hour-plus memorial to share their grief and feelings.
Here is a sampling of those testimonials:
Video from NASCAR America
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 2
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11