Jun 19, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
One week after he tragically was killed in a dirt track racing crash in New Jersey, the motorsports world said goodbye to Jason Leffler on Wednesday.
An overflow crowd packed Grace Covenant Church in Cornelius, N.C., for Leffler’s funeral service. About 600 miles to the north, Indianapolis Motor Speedway paid tribute to Leffler by illuminating the scoreboard atop the track’s famous pagoda with the number 50 — the number Leffler’s car carried when he ran in the 2000 Indianapolis 500 — as well as the years 1975 and 2013, marking his birth and death.
Many of Leffler’s fans as well as friends within the racing world took to Twitter after the one hour-plus memorial to share their grief and feelings.
Here is a sampling of those testimonials:
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 0
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 30
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0