Jun 20, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing has a toe dipped into another form of motorsport – the Global Rallycross Championship.
A press release from the team today confirmed its expansion into GRC in partnership with SH Racing and its principal, James Sullivan. No driver or car details were named but they have dubbed the car the “Star Car,” and will partner with GRC champions OMSE2 for the effort.
The team will run at the X Games event in Los Angeles on August 4 (check local listings).
“GRC is an emerging sport which will bring our sponsor partners a whole new audience and serves as a great compliment to our INDYCAR efforts,” said Robbie Buhl, co-owner of DRR.
“This is a homecoming for us in that we’re expanding back into our roots in Action Sports with the entry into X Games,” Sullivan added. “Coming straight off the Indy 500 victory, X Games will be another huge win for our sponsors and stakeholders.”
SH and DRR have partnered before, to field the No. 07 REDLINE XTREME entry for Tomas Scheckter in the 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series race at Baltimore.
SH has re-entered IndyCar this year with KV Racing Technology, as a partner to Tony Kanaan’s No. 11 entry.
DRR was in IndyCar through this year’s Indianapolis 500 with driver Oriol Servia, as part of a technical partnership with Panther Racing, but withdrew after the race citing a lack of funding. Servia has since raced for Panther Racing at Texas, and upcoming this weekend at Iowa.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0