Jun 20, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing has a toe dipped into another form of motorsport – the Global Rallycross Championship.
A press release from the team today confirmed its expansion into GRC in partnership with SH Racing and its principal, James Sullivan. No driver or car details were named but they have dubbed the car the “Star Car,” and will partner with GRC champions OMSE2 for the effort.
The team will run at the X Games event in Los Angeles on August 4 (check local listings).
“GRC is an emerging sport which will bring our sponsor partners a whole new audience and serves as a great compliment to our INDYCAR efforts,” said Robbie Buhl, co-owner of DRR.
“This is a homecoming for us in that we’re expanding back into our roots in Action Sports with the entry into X Games,” Sullivan added. “Coming straight off the Indy 500 victory, X Games will be another huge win for our sponsors and stakeholders.”
SH and DRR have partnered before, to field the No. 07 REDLINE XTREME entry for Tomas Scheckter in the 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series race at Baltimore.
SH has re-entered IndyCar this year with KV Racing Technology, as a partner to Tony Kanaan’s No. 11 entry.
DRR was in IndyCar through this year’s Indianapolis 500 with driver Oriol Servia, as part of a technical partnership with Panther Racing, but withdrew after the race citing a lack of funding. Servia has since raced for Panther Racing at Texas, and upcoming this weekend at Iowa.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP3 for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 17
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0