Jun 20, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
The IZOD IndyCar Series’ manic stretch of five races in four weekends after the month of May concludes at the Iowa Speedway this Sunday.
Some stats of note leaving Milwaukee and entering Iowa for the Iowa Corn Indy 250:
- In the last four races, the gloves have come off between Ryan Hunter-Reay and Helio Castroneves. They each have a win and have smoked the field from a points standpoint; Castroneves holds a 147-145 edge over Hunter-Reay, with Dario Franchitti having scored the third most points at just 111. Simon Pagenaud (104) is the only other driver in the field in this stretch of diverse races with more than 100 points.
- Unsurprisingly, Hunter-Reay and Castroneves have also scored the most points on ovals this year. Hunter-Reay has secured 136 points to Castroneves’ 129; Tony Kanaan is the only other driver (110) over 100. Marco Andretti is next on 88 points, with Ed Carpenter on 86 and Will Power on 85.
- E.J. Viso kept his qualifying hot streak alive with his sixth straight top-five grid position in Milwaukee. He followed that up with his first top-five finish of the season. His only career podium came in Iowa in 2010, a third-place result.
- After his frustrating ending to a dominant weekend in Milwaukee, Marco Andretti heads to undoubtedly his best track on the schedule in the cornfields of Iowa. In six prior starts, Andretti leads the field with four podium finishes, and a win there in 2011. He’s led only 87 laps at the track though, which trails four other current drivers.
- Alex Tagliani hasn’t scored a top-10 finish for the Barracuda Racing/BHA squad since St. Petersburg, and Dragon Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais hasn’t scored one all season. They’re due.
- Following the form of bad race-top 10-bad race, expect Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing’s Josef Newgarden to crack the top-10 this weekend. In all four even-numbered races this year, the series sophomore has ended there (ninth at Barber, fifth in Brazil, seventh at Detroit race one, eighth at Texas).
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 7