Jun 20, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
The IZOD IndyCar Series’ manic stretch of five races in four weekends after the month of May concludes at the Iowa Speedway this Sunday.
Some stats of note leaving Milwaukee and entering Iowa for the Iowa Corn Indy 250:
- In the last four races, the gloves have come off between Ryan Hunter-Reay and Helio Castroneves. They each have a win and have smoked the field from a points standpoint; Castroneves holds a 147-145 edge over Hunter-Reay, with Dario Franchitti having scored the third most points at just 111. Simon Pagenaud (104) is the only other driver in the field in this stretch of diverse races with more than 100 points.
- Unsurprisingly, Hunter-Reay and Castroneves have also scored the most points on ovals this year. Hunter-Reay has secured 136 points to Castroneves’ 129; Tony Kanaan is the only other driver (110) over 100. Marco Andretti is next on 88 points, with Ed Carpenter on 86 and Will Power on 85.
- E.J. Viso kept his qualifying hot streak alive with his sixth straight top-five grid position in Milwaukee. He followed that up with his first top-five finish of the season. His only career podium came in Iowa in 2010, a third-place result.
- After his frustrating ending to a dominant weekend in Milwaukee, Marco Andretti heads to undoubtedly his best track on the schedule in the cornfields of Iowa. In six prior starts, Andretti leads the field with four podium finishes, and a win there in 2011. He’s led only 87 laps at the track though, which trails four other current drivers.
- Alex Tagliani hasn’t scored a top-10 finish for the Barracuda Racing/BHA squad since St. Petersburg, and Dragon Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais hasn’t scored one all season. They’re due.
- Following the form of bad race-top 10-bad race, expect Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing’s Josef Newgarden to crack the top-10 this weekend. In all four even-numbered races this year, the series sophomore has ended there (ninth at Barber, fifth in Brazil, seventh at Detroit race one, eighth at Texas).
Jan 28, 2015, 9:34 PM EST
NASCAR on NBC’s Jeff Burton reaches out to fans during an impromptu Twitter Q&A.
Jan 28, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
IndyCar’s James Hinchcliffe raves about the year-on-year improvements by the SpeedSource Mazda program.
Jan 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Team Penske’s Tim Cindric discusses the “known quantity” of Brian Barnhart.
Jan 28, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Richard Childress Racing announced it has added two female drivers to its driver development program, including the daughter of driver-turned-broadcaster Wally Dallenbach Jr.
Jan 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EST
Take a look at a day in the life of Verizon IndyCar Series driver Josef Newgarden during the offseason.
Jan 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Although he’s looking ahead to the 2015 season, Brad Keselowski did a bit of reminiscing Wednesday.
Jan 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
After breakout 2014, Logano looks ahead to an even better third year with Team Penske.
Jan 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
IndyCar’s preseason driver meeting just might reveal some clues about who could fill the remaining seats left for 2015.
Jan 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Coming up: Interviews with the drivers of Roush Fenway Racing, Richard Petty Motorsports, and Team Penske. Plus, a look back on a shocking upset at the 1990 Daytona 500.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:29 PM EST
After being sidelined in 2014, Johanna Long will drive a number of races for a new race team in both the Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series in 2015.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
While a small, one-car team that makes just over half the races of the season, there’s a lot of heart and motivation in the family oriented Leavine Family Racing team.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:06 PM EST
A family release issued Wednesday through NASCAR’s communications department said Pearson suffered the stroke Dec. 9 “but is doing great and well on the road to recovery.”
Jan 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Former IndyCar race director Brian Barnhart will return to his old role for 2015.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Six more events “tentatively” added to the Wood Brothers’ 65th anniversary season.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
Roush Fenway Racing president Steve Newmark said the team set up a meeting for Wallace with Maverick Carter, the agent who oversees much of James’ business empire.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:12 PM EST
Richard Petty Motorsports seeks sponsorship for 26 races for Sam Hornish Jr.’s team this season.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
Horner also speaks with NBCSN’s Will Buxton about efforts from the team’s engine manufacturer, Renault, to ensure a much smoother start to 2015.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Force India opts to concentrate on getting its new 2015 car ready for the second preseason test at Barcelona.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 PM EST
Sam Hornish is fitting in quite nicely in his new role with Richard Petty Motorsports.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Last year’s July winner at Daytona thinks RPM’s momentum will continue to grow in 2015.
Video from NASCAR America
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 3
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 14
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 9
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 25
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2