Jun 20, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
The IZOD IndyCar Series’ manic stretch of five races in four weekends after the month of May concludes at the Iowa Speedway this Sunday.
Some stats of note leaving Milwaukee and entering Iowa for the Iowa Corn Indy 250:
- In the last four races, the gloves have come off between Ryan Hunter-Reay and Helio Castroneves. They each have a win and have smoked the field from a points standpoint; Castroneves holds a 147-145 edge over Hunter-Reay, with Dario Franchitti having scored the third most points at just 111. Simon Pagenaud (104) is the only other driver in the field in this stretch of diverse races with more than 100 points.
- Unsurprisingly, Hunter-Reay and Castroneves have also scored the most points on ovals this year. Hunter-Reay has secured 136 points to Castroneves’ 129; Tony Kanaan is the only other driver (110) over 100. Marco Andretti is next on 88 points, with Ed Carpenter on 86 and Will Power on 85.
- E.J. Viso kept his qualifying hot streak alive with his sixth straight top-five grid position in Milwaukee. He followed that up with his first top-five finish of the season. His only career podium came in Iowa in 2010, a third-place result.
- After his frustrating ending to a dominant weekend in Milwaukee, Marco Andretti heads to undoubtedly his best track on the schedule in the cornfields of Iowa. In six prior starts, Andretti leads the field with four podium finishes, and a win there in 2011. He’s led only 87 laps at the track though, which trails four other current drivers.
- Alex Tagliani hasn’t scored a top-10 finish for the Barracuda Racing/BHA squad since St. Petersburg, and Dragon Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais hasn’t scored one all season. They’re due.
- Following the form of bad race-top 10-bad race, expect Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing’s Josef Newgarden to crack the top-10 this weekend. In all four even-numbered races this year, the series sophomore has ended there (ninth at Barber, fifth in Brazil, seventh at Detroit race one, eighth at Texas).
Jul 23, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
Hey there, NASCAR AMERICA is back! After a brief vacation just like the Sprint Cup drivers enjoyed during the last off-weekend of the 2014 season, we’re back in the studio and at the shops, ready to give you the latest news in the world of NASCAR.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Erik Jones and Ryan Blaney recorded the top speeds in the two practice sessions for Wednesday night’s second annual MudSummer Classic NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event at Eldora Speedway.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Video highlights from the Honda Indy 2 in Toronto on Sunday.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Sage Karam fills in for Memo Rojas at IMS for the TUDOR Championship race this weekend.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
University student gets to interview Joey Logano at New Hampshire, and fortuitous timing before his day ended early due to contact with Morgan Shepherd.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
Eldora Truck race tonight seeks to be as good as the original.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Time has not lessened the significance of winning at Indy for these three NASCAR standouts.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The Outlaw returns to Indianapolis for the first time since his Indy 500-Coke 600 double back in May.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
The Team Penske pilot is putting up his six-bedroom Miami penthouse for a cool $14 million. Better start saving up…
Jul 22, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Seeking to catch up with their Ford stablemates at Team Penske, Roush Fenway Racing’s trio of Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. have been searching for speed in a two-day test session at Michigan International Speedway.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The new, 92-foot pylon is made up of four LED panels capable of video animations that relay race info to fans.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Recapping the future stars of IndyCar in action at Toronto this weekend.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
A report from Mexico says that Bernie Ecclestone has signed a five-year pact to bring F1 to Mexico City’s Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez starting next season.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
A miserable home weekend in Toronto strikes James Hinchcliffe yet again.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Williams’ deputy team principal on Massa: “He is mature enough – and has enough experience in the sport – to realize that sometimes, things don’t go your way.”
Jul 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Given politics, dates and dreams, could an IndyCar race at CTMP be possible?
Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Ex-F1 shoe Jerome d’Ambrosio gets signed up for new FE series.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Kyle Larson’s got a new house, a new kid on the way and now a new Cottonelle ad he might not be able to live down.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Mercedes’ Toto Wolff calls double points “unfair.”
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
MST’s Tony DiZinno recaps the weekend in Toronto, that featured a host of surprises.
- Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale 4
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 13
- Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate 0
- Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together 0