Jun 20, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
The IZOD IndyCar Series’ manic stretch of five races in four weekends after the month of May concludes at the Iowa Speedway this Sunday.
Some stats of note leaving Milwaukee and entering Iowa for the Iowa Corn Indy 250:
- In the last four races, the gloves have come off between Ryan Hunter-Reay and Helio Castroneves. They each have a win and have smoked the field from a points standpoint; Castroneves holds a 147-145 edge over Hunter-Reay, with Dario Franchitti having scored the third most points at just 111. Simon Pagenaud (104) is the only other driver in the field in this stretch of diverse races with more than 100 points.
- Unsurprisingly, Hunter-Reay and Castroneves have also scored the most points on ovals this year. Hunter-Reay has secured 136 points to Castroneves’ 129; Tony Kanaan is the only other driver (110) over 100. Marco Andretti is next on 88 points, with Ed Carpenter on 86 and Will Power on 85.
- E.J. Viso kept his qualifying hot streak alive with his sixth straight top-five grid position in Milwaukee. He followed that up with his first top-five finish of the season. His only career podium came in Iowa in 2010, a third-place result.
- After his frustrating ending to a dominant weekend in Milwaukee, Marco Andretti heads to undoubtedly his best track on the schedule in the cornfields of Iowa. In six prior starts, Andretti leads the field with four podium finishes, and a win there in 2011. He’s led only 87 laps at the track though, which trails four other current drivers.
- Alex Tagliani hasn’t scored a top-10 finish for the Barracuda Racing/BHA squad since St. Petersburg, and Dragon Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais hasn’t scored one all season. They’re due.
- Following the form of bad race-top 10-bad race, expect Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing’s Josef Newgarden to crack the top-10 this weekend. In all four even-numbered races this year, the series sophomore has ended there (ninth at Barber, fifth in Brazil, seventh at Detroit race one, eighth at Texas).
Jul 29, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
IndyCar penalizes Honda for five engines that did not “attain their life cycle.”
Jul 29, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
Rahal is second in the points and takes his career best season to his home track of Mid-Ohio.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
Johnson will make his first start of 2015 this weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Simon Pagenaud looking for first top-fin finish since Detroit race one.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
In eight IndyCar races at Mid-Ohio, Scott Dixon has a record five wins.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
There’s still a good seven to 10 high-quality drivers without a win in IndyCar, 2015, who could add to the list of winners.
Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR
Jul 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Even though it has been pretty much of a lost season for him in Australia’s V8 Supercars series, Marcos Ambrose believes he can still find some success before the racing year is over.
‘Race With Restraint’ proves grassroots racers want, will use more safety equipment at affordable rate
Jul 28, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
The first attempt at bringing top-of-the-line safety equipment to the grassroots racing masses was an unqualified success.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Hector Arana Jr. hopes 2015 is about time to finally be his time.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s Honda Indy 200, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumors of the demise of NHRA’s Pro Stock class have been greatly exaggerated.
Jul 28, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Simon Pagenaud swaps firesuit for street clothes when driving the Penske Truck Rental truck, playing “mover” this weekend.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
The latest car for Austin Cindric is a Lamborghini at Mid-Ohio this weekend.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
Zanardi still wants to race the Indy 500, if possible.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Singapore Grand Prix circuit to adjust Turns 11 to 13.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Sherwin-Williams joins the Hulman Motorsports family as Official Paint and Finishing Partner.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
We check in with NBCSN IndyCar analyst Townsend Bell for latest “Ten with Townsend” insights, post the Iowa race and heading into Mid-Ohio.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
Good news, Ricciardo made the podium. Bad news, his trophy didn’t survive it.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Jakes kept his visor down after all on a pit stop in Iowa.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
A quick look back at Chaves’ short track debut.
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 0
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 6
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 20
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 7