Jun 20, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Formula One is no stranger to bold claims or brave gestures, but Lotus’ new backers Infinity Racing have been particularly brash with their claim that they can make the black-and-gold team ‘number one’ within the next year.
Led by Mansoor Ijaz, the consortium has taken a 35% share in the team from majority owners Genii Capital, but Ijaz is confident that Infinity’s input can turn Lotus into championship material.
“If Lotus was, on a scale -10 to +10, at -8 because of the problems it had before Genii Capital came in and now it’s +5, 6 or even 7, what we’re doing is topping it off to make sure they get to the championship,” Ijaz is quoted as telling Sports Pro Media. “That has two key elements: technology and sponsorship revenue and that’s basically what we’re bringing to the table.”
“We’ll be number one in twelve months. I say it simply, flatly, completely – we’ll be number one in twelve months.”
The last Enstone-based team to win a world championship was Renault, who claimed both championships in 2005 and 2006 with the pairing of Fernando Alonso and Giancarlo Fisichella. The team has seen an improvement in form in the past two seasons after the arrival of Kimi Raikkonen, who finished 3rd in last year’s drivers’ championship, but quite whether Infinity’s input will allow the team to rival Red Bull remains to be seen.
Video from NASCAR America
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 5
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 3
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 21
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 19
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 5
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4