Jun 20, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Formula One is no stranger to bold claims or brave gestures, but Lotus’ new backers Infinity Racing have been particularly brash with their claim that they can make the black-and-gold team ‘number one’ within the next year.
Led by Mansoor Ijaz, the consortium has taken a 35% share in the team from majority owners Genii Capital, but Ijaz is confident that Infinity’s input can turn Lotus into championship material.
“If Lotus was, on a scale -10 to +10, at -8 because of the problems it had before Genii Capital came in and now it’s +5, 6 or even 7, what we’re doing is topping it off to make sure they get to the championship,” Ijaz is quoted as telling Sports Pro Media. “That has two key elements: technology and sponsorship revenue and that’s basically what we’re bringing to the table.”
“We’ll be number one in twelve months. I say it simply, flatly, completely – we’ll be number one in twelve months.”
The last Enstone-based team to win a world championship was Renault, who claimed both championships in 2005 and 2006 with the pairing of Fernando Alonso and Giancarlo Fisichella. The team has seen an improvement in form in the past two seasons after the arrival of Kimi Raikkonen, who finished 3rd in last year’s drivers’ championship, but quite whether Infinity’s input will allow the team to rival Red Bull remains to be seen.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)