Jun 20, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Lotus’ newly-confirmed backers, Infinity Racing have confirmed that they spoke to three others teams besides Lotus before eventually signing a deal with the Enstone based team.
The consortium, not to be confused with Infiniti, is led by Mansoor Ijaz, who revealed the discussions after the announcement was made earlier this week.
“We have been looking at Formula One for about two years now,” Ijaz explained to Sports Pro Media. “We looked at three other teams before we decided on Lotus. I won’t mention which ones but we had general discussions and in some cases very specific discussions.”
However, Ijaz praised Lotus’ team spirit, which seems to have been the deciding factor in gaining Infinity’s backing.
“There were two things missing in the other teams we looked at,” he continued. “The first was the element of real team spirit, meaning across the board – vertically as well as horizontally – in terms of the breadth and depth of the team’s capacity – its interconnectedness. I just didn’t see that in any of the other teams that we looked at. The second element was the business brains that run Genii Capital and the business brains that affect the way in which Lotus is managed as a business; these are men cut from the same cloth as I have been throughout my career.
“There was a congruency in the way we thought the business ought to be run. They’ve done an incredibly good job to bring team harmony back to a team that had been fractured by the problems it had before.”
The team has gone through a period of uncertainty following the Crashgate fiasco back in 2008-2009, failing to match its championship winning days as Renault during 2005 and 2006. With Infinity’s backing though, Lotus could be set to return to these dizzying heights with Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 10
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 43
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2