Jun 20, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Because their names sound so similar, it was only natural for Sunoco and Pocono to join forces for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ return to “the Tricky Triangle.”
Sunoco has signed on as presenting sponsor of the IndyCar race at Pocono on July 7, now termed the Pocono INDYCAR 400 Fueled by Sunoco. The 400-mile event at Pocono Raceway, the second leg of the Fuzzy’s Triple Crown, will be the first open-wheel event at the 2.5-mile, triangular-shaped track since 1989.
It’s also a natural tie-in given it’s a race where the Sunoco/ “Turbo” livery will be running on Tony Kanaan’s car for the race and it’s the second-to-last IndyCar race weekend before “Turbo” opens nationwide on July 17.
Kanaan is the only driver eligible for the Triple Crown after his win at the Indianapolis 500 in May.
“Sunoco has been a great partner of the Raceway for many years,” said Brandon Igdalsky, President and CEO of Pocono Raceway. “We are thrilled they came on board as the presenting sponsor for such a historic race as this one, marking the first open-wheel race at Pocono in 24 years. We cannot thank them enough for all their continued support.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 2
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0