Jun 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Two years ago, IndyCar tried something at the Iowa Speedway it hadn’t done before: a grid run with Robin Miller and that year’s Indianapolis 500 champion, the late Dan Wheldon.
Versus, the previous iteration of the NBC Sports Network, had brought in Wheldon at Texas and Iowa to provide expert analysis since his only drive to that point was at Indianapolis. Wheldon had starred in the booth at Texas and came down to pit road at Iowa to help cover the field with Miller.
It was a surprising but great moment that IndyCar fans cherished (watch this video courtesy of IndyCar’s Twitter “link master” Matt Archuleta, better known as @Indy44). Miller’s “Grid runs” have now become a regular part of the NBCSN IndyCar broadcasts – last week at Milwaukee, he and NBC Formula One pit reporter Will Buxton had the opportunity to do one together.
Defending series champion and Iowa race winner Ryan Hunter-Reay remembers this moment with Wheldon for another reason: it was the weekend he’d forgot his wallet at dinner.
“I didn’t realize I had no money until we were about to get up and leave,” Hunter-Reay told the Des Moines Register, reflecting on that evening at a Mexican restaurant. “(Wife) Beccy didn’t have anything, either. The only other people in the restaurant at the time were Dan, Susie and Mickey. I had to crawl over and ask for a loan.”
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)