Jun 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Two years ago, IndyCar tried something at the Iowa Speedway it hadn’t done before: a grid run with Robin Miller and that year’s Indianapolis 500 champion, the late Dan Wheldon.
Versus, the previous iteration of the NBC Sports Network, had brought in Wheldon at Texas and Iowa to provide expert analysis since his only drive to that point was at Indianapolis. Wheldon had starred in the booth at Texas and came down to pit road at Iowa to help cover the field with Miller.
It was a surprising but great moment that IndyCar fans cherished (watch this video courtesy of IndyCar’s Twitter “link master” Matt Archuleta, better known as @Indy44). Miller’s “Grid runs” have now become a regular part of the NBCSN IndyCar broadcasts – last week at Milwaukee, he and NBC Formula One pit reporter Will Buxton had the opportunity to do one together.
Defending series champion and Iowa race winner Ryan Hunter-Reay remembers this moment with Wheldon for another reason: it was the weekend he’d forgot his wallet at dinner.
“I didn’t realize I had no money until we were about to get up and leave,” Hunter-Reay told the Des Moines Register, reflecting on that evening at a Mexican restaurant. “(Wife) Beccy didn’t have anything, either. The only other people in the restaurant at the time were Dan, Susie and Mickey. I had to crawl over and ask for a loan.”
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1