Jun 21, 2013, 8:18 AM EDT
Mercedes and Pirelli have both been reprimanded for their role in the tire test after the Spanish Grand Prix, as determined Friday in a verdict by the FIA International Tribunal.
The biggest hit in the verdict is that Mercedes has been banned from competing in the upcoming three-day young driver’s test.
Otherwise Mercedes, Pirelli and the FIA were all asked to pay one-third of the costs of the investigation and procedure, with the FIA being asked to pay all its legal costs.
The Tribunal found that the testing itself was “carried out by Pirelli and/or Mercedes with the intention that Mercedes should not obtain any unfair sporting advantage.” Neither party acted in bad faith and disclosed their intent to the FIA, with Charlie Whiting’s blessing to allow the test to happen “consistent with sporting fairness.”
Notwithstanding that, the FIA said there were still violations committed. Because Mercedes did run its 2013 car, the W04, it acted in breach of Article 22.4 of the Sporting Regulations. It did obtain “some material advantage,” which then “potentially, gave it an unfair sporting advantage”. The FIA said “it is plain beyond sensible argument that Pirelli had intended confidentially to pass some information to Mercedes.”
Ferrari’s test with its older car, the FIA determined that it “would appear to be equally unsatisfactory” but the Tribunal itself had no evidence to place any similar penalty on the Scuderia.
Related posts from Thursday:
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3