Jun 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Brats, beer and cheese will greet the field at this weekend’s NASCAR Nationwide Series Johnsonville Sausage 200 at Elkhart Lake, Wis.’ Road America.
We took at the list of “road course ringers” for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series’ race at Sonoma Raceway this weekend on Thursday. Here’s a look at the likely contending one-off drivers attempting to topple the regulars at Road America.
Purely based on equipment, expect Johnny O’Connell (No. 5 Hendrick Chevrolet), Billy Johnson (No. 16 Roush Fenway Ford), Michael McDowell (No. 18 Gibbs Toyota), AJ Allmendinger (No. 22 Penske Ford), Max Papis (No. 33 Childress Chevrolet) and Owen Kelly (No. 54 KBM Toyota) to lead the field of part-timers.
O’Connell is making his Nationwide debut but is a veteran sports car racer and champion in both Corvettes and Cadillacs. Johnson competes regularly for Roush in GRAND-AM’s Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge in a Ford Mustang. McDowell, Papis and Kelly have all starred in past Nationwide races at Road America, and Allmendinger will be primed to redeem himself for Penske after a disastrous IndyCar weekend in Detroit.
There are 46 cars attempting to qualify for 40 positions. The race goes green Saturday at 5 p.m. ET (check local listings).
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5