Jun 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Brats, beer and cheese will greet the field at this weekend’s NASCAR Nationwide Series Johnsonville Sausage 200 at Elkhart Lake, Wis.’ Road America.
We took at the list of “road course ringers” for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series’ race at Sonoma Raceway this weekend on Thursday. Here’s a look at the likely contending one-off drivers attempting to topple the regulars at Road America.
Purely based on equipment, expect Johnny O’Connell (No. 5 Hendrick Chevrolet), Billy Johnson (No. 16 Roush Fenway Ford), Michael McDowell (No. 18 Gibbs Toyota), AJ Allmendinger (No. 22 Penske Ford), Max Papis (No. 33 Childress Chevrolet) and Owen Kelly (No. 54 KBM Toyota) to lead the field of part-timers.
O’Connell is making his Nationwide debut but is a veteran sports car racer and champion in both Corvettes and Cadillacs. Johnson competes regularly for Roush in GRAND-AM’s Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge in a Ford Mustang. McDowell, Papis and Kelly have all starred in past Nationwide races at Road America, and Allmendinger will be primed to redeem himself for Penske after a disastrous IndyCar weekend in Detroit.
There are 46 cars attempting to qualify for 40 positions. The race goes green Saturday at 5 p.m. ET (check local listings).
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3