Jun 22, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
10 a.m. ET: The 90th Anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans is underway from the Circuit de la Sarthe, with more than one hour complete.
That said, the majority of the first hour was spent under the safety car for a massive accident at Tertre Rouge for Allen Simonsen, the GTE Am class polesitter, in the No. 95 Aston Martin Vantage.
Reports have been mixed on Simonsen’s condition. An official tweet from the @FIAWEC Twitter account said Simonsen was conscious (that tweet is below). On the SPEED TV broadcast, pit reporter Andrew Marriott said Aston Martin officials were unable to confirm his condition.
The #95 @AMR_Official has made heavy contact at MP18-19, race under Safety Car, driver is being attended to by medics but is conscious
— FIA WEC (@FIAWEC) June 22, 2013
No replay was shown of exactly what caused the shunt, but Simonsen’s car contacted the Armco barriers on the exit of the corner and his left door on the car was gone, with the right one still ajar. Tommy Milner, co-driver of the No. 74 Corvette Racing C6.R in GTE Pro, tweeted what he had heard via reports.
.@RyanEversley Report was he ran wide to avoid a Ferrari that spun and lost control on the wet paint exit of Tetre Rouge
— Tommy Milner (@TommyMilner) June 22, 2013
We’ll keep you posted as official news develops.
At the front of the field, the pair of Toyota TS030 Hybrids made early charges with Nicolas Lapierre and Anthony Davidson on the trio of Audi R18 e-tron quattros. Audi is expected to pit earlier and more frequently than the Toyotas as the Toyotas have a fuel tank size advantage, but the pace of the Audi is expected to keep it ahead.
Olivier Pla, the polesitter in LMP2, led that class in the No. 24 OAK Racing Morgan Nissan until his first pit stop. Aston Martin’s No. 97 led GTE Pro with Patrick Long leaping to the lead in GTE Am in the No. 77 Dempsey Del Piero Racing Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, the car that also includes Patrick Dempsey behind the wheel.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0