Jun 22, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
Tony Kanaan, who jumped 16 spots to finish third last year at Iowa Speedway, led this morning’s IZOD IndyCar Series practice session on the 7/8-mile short oval with a lap at 184.063 miles per hour in the No. 11 KV Racing Technology Chevrolet.
This morning’s session will be the sole practice run for drivers and teams before they undergo single-car qualifying later this afternoon at 4 p.m. ET – which will serve to determine the groups for the three, 50-lap heat races that will set the grid for Sunday’s Iowa Corn Indy 250 (2:30 pm ET, check local listings).
Those heat races will begin tonight at 6:45 p.m. ET and will be streamed on IndyCar.com Race Control.
Coming off his first podium of the season last weekend at Milwaukee, Will Power posted the second-quickest practice time with a lap at 183.602 mph for Team Penske. His teammate Helio Castroneves, who was runner-up to winner Ryan Hunter-Reay last weekend, was fourth (182.962 mph) in the session behind third-place man Marco Andretti (183.100), who is seeking to make up the ground he lost in the championship seven days ago.
Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon was fifth-fastest at 182.841 mph, with E.J. Viso, James Hinchcliffe, James Jakes, Ed Carpenter and Simon Pagenaud completing the Top 10.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 0
- Hamilton strikes back to top FP2 ahead of Rosberg in Belgium 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Belgian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Rosberg leads Hamilton in first Belgian GP practice 0
- Chilton to race in Belgium after all; Rossi denied F1 debut 5
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the Belgian Grand Prix 0