Jun 22, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Tony Kanaan, who jumped 16 spots to finish third last year at Iowa Speedway, led this morning’s IZOD IndyCar Series practice session on the 7/8-mile short oval with a lap at 184.063 miles per hour in the No. 11 KV Racing Technology Chevrolet.
This morning’s session will be the sole practice run for drivers and teams before they undergo single-car qualifying later this afternoon at 4 p.m. ET – which will serve to determine the groups for the three, 50-lap heat races that will set the grid for Sunday’s Iowa Corn Indy 250 (2:30 pm ET, check local listings).
Those heat races will begin tonight at 6:45 p.m. ET and will be streamed on IndyCar.com Race Control.
Coming off his first podium of the season last weekend at Milwaukee, Will Power posted the second-quickest practice time with a lap at 183.602 mph for Team Penske. His teammate Helio Castroneves, who was runner-up to winner Ryan Hunter-Reay last weekend, was fourth (182.962 mph) in the session behind third-place man Marco Andretti (183.100), who is seeking to make up the ground he lost in the championship seven days ago.
Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon was fifth-fastest at 182.841 mph, with E.J. Viso, James Hinchcliffe, James Jakes, Ed Carpenter and Simon Pagenaud completing the Top 10.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3