Jun 23, 2013, 6:13 PM EST
When the tracks come up short, Andretti Autosport comes up big.
Over the last two years at the Milwaukee Mile and the 7/8-mile Iowa Speedway, the Andretti camp has come away with four victories, seven podiums, and nine Top-5 finishes.
And today at Iowa, the team added its fourth consecutive victory there as James Hinchcliffe (pictured) led Ryan Hunter-Reay to the checkered flag in a 1-2 Andretti result. In the three previous races at Iowa, Tony Kanaan (now with KV Racing Technology; 2010), Marco Andretti (2011) and Hunter-Reay (2012) had triumphed for the team.
“It was another great day in Iowa,” said team owner Michael Andretti. “We love coming here as a team. James did a heck of a job and it was a huge win for us. This is [Hinchcliffe’s sponsor] GoDaddy’s hometown, so it was great for them. Ryan did a great job. He broke his front wing early and came back from basically last to fight his way back second and that was a heck of a drive.
“We had four cars in the Top-10, so it was a great day for our team.”
The 1-2 run for Andretti at Iowa came one week after Hunter-Reay won the Milwaukee IndyFest and had fourth and fifth-place efforts respectively from E.J. Viso and Hinchcliffe.
“Hinch,” who previously had a best career finish of ninth at Iowa, also made the biggest jump in the championship today. The Canadian leaped five spots in the championship to fourth position, 66 points behind leader Helio Castroneves and just 11 markers behind third-place Marco Andretti.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 0
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0