Jun 23, 2013, 6:13 PM EST
When the tracks come up short, Andretti Autosport comes up big.
Over the last two years at the Milwaukee Mile and the 7/8-mile Iowa Speedway, the Andretti camp has come away with four victories, seven podiums, and nine Top-5 finishes.
And today at Iowa, the team added its fourth consecutive victory there as James Hinchcliffe (pictured) led Ryan Hunter-Reay to the checkered flag in a 1-2 Andretti result. In the three previous races at Iowa, Tony Kanaan (now with KV Racing Technology; 2010), Marco Andretti (2011) and Hunter-Reay (2012) had triumphed for the team.
“It was another great day in Iowa,” said team owner Michael Andretti. “We love coming here as a team. James did a heck of a job and it was a huge win for us. This is [Hinchcliffe's sponsor] GoDaddy’s hometown, so it was great for them. Ryan did a great job. He broke his front wing early and came back from basically last to fight his way back second and that was a heck of a drive.
“We had four cars in the Top-10, so it was a great day for our team.”
The 1-2 run for Andretti at Iowa came one week after Hunter-Reay won the Milwaukee IndyFest and had fourth and fifth-place efforts respectively from E.J. Viso and Hinchcliffe.
“Hinch,” who previously had a best career finish of ninth at Iowa, also made the biggest jump in the championship today. The Canadian leaped five spots in the championship to fourth position, 66 points behind leader Helio Castroneves and just 11 markers behind third-place Marco Andretti.
- Vettel calls double points idea “absurd” 0
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers 2
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)