Jun 23, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
When the tracks come up short, Andretti Autosport comes up big.
Over the last two years at the Milwaukee Mile and the 7/8-mile Iowa Speedway, the Andretti camp has come away with four victories, seven podiums, and nine Top-5 finishes.
And today at Iowa, the team added its fourth consecutive victory there as James Hinchcliffe (pictured) led Ryan Hunter-Reay to the checkered flag in a 1-2 Andretti result. In the three previous races at Iowa, Tony Kanaan (now with KV Racing Technology; 2010), Marco Andretti (2011) and Hunter-Reay (2012) had triumphed for the team.
“It was another great day in Iowa,” said team owner Michael Andretti. “We love coming here as a team. James did a heck of a job and it was a huge win for us. This is [Hinchcliffe's sponsor] GoDaddy’s hometown, so it was great for them. Ryan did a great job. He broke his front wing early and came back from basically last to fight his way back second and that was a heck of a drive.
“We had four cars in the Top-10, so it was a great day for our team.”
The 1-2 run for Andretti at Iowa came one week after Hunter-Reay won the Milwaukee IndyFest and had fourth and fifth-place efforts respectively from E.J. Viso and Hinchcliffe.
“Hinch,” who previously had a best career finish of ninth at Iowa, also made the biggest jump in the championship today. The Canadian leaped five spots in the championship to fourth position, 66 points behind leader Helio Castroneves and just 11 markers behind third-place Marco Andretti.
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)