Jun 23, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
When the tracks come up short, Andretti Autosport comes up big.
Over the last two years at the Milwaukee Mile and the 7/8-mile Iowa Speedway, the Andretti camp has come away with four victories, seven podiums, and nine Top-5 finishes.
And today at Iowa, the team added its fourth consecutive victory there as James Hinchcliffe (pictured) led Ryan Hunter-Reay to the checkered flag in a 1-2 Andretti result. In the three previous races at Iowa, Tony Kanaan (now with KV Racing Technology; 2010), Marco Andretti (2011) and Hunter-Reay (2012) had triumphed for the team.
“It was another great day in Iowa,” said team owner Michael Andretti. “We love coming here as a team. James did a heck of a job and it was a huge win for us. This is [Hinchcliffe’s sponsor] GoDaddy’s hometown, so it was great for them. Ryan did a great job. He broke his front wing early and came back from basically last to fight his way back second and that was a heck of a drive.
“We had four cars in the Top-10, so it was a great day for our team.”
The 1-2 run for Andretti at Iowa came one week after Hunter-Reay won the Milwaukee IndyFest and had fourth and fifth-place efforts respectively from E.J. Viso and Hinchcliffe.
“Hinch,” who previously had a best career finish of ninth at Iowa, also made the biggest jump in the championship today. The Canadian leaped five spots in the championship to fourth position, 66 points behind leader Helio Castroneves and just 11 markers behind third-place Marco Andretti.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 10
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1