Jun 23, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Ed Carpenter used the final green-flag run of the day to race into a Top-5 finish at Iowa Speedway, claiming fourth at the checkered flag in today’s Iowa Corn Indy 250 – his best-ever run on the IZOD IndyCar Series’ shortest oval.
He had led for 18 laps before going to pit road for his final stop on Lap 214, having gone 73 laps on that stint. A slow stop knocked the American driver back to tenth position, but he proceeded to peel off six spots in the final 36 circuits and got by Graham Rahal for fourth with two laps to go. As a sign of his late pace, he was throwing down laps during his final stint that were eight miles per hour quicker than the leaders.
Carpenter was a podium threat from the beginning, moving up to second position behind the dominant James Hinchcliffe in the early stages. But he couldn’t stay there as his No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet suffered from understeer issues. This caused him to fall into the mid-pack, but he would charge back up the pylon following a Lap 117 pit stop for front wing adjustments.
“We probably weren’t as aggressive enough early in the race on our changes,” he admitted afterwards. “But we made all of the right changes late and we were fast at the end. I think we had a car fast enough to win today. Our last green flag pit stop didn’t go as we wanted, but we came back and nearly got a podium today.
“Overall, we still got a Top-5 finish today, so it wasn’t a bad day for us.”
The fourth-place run is Carpenter’s second Top-5 finish of the season and betters his previous best at Iowa, a sixth-place result in 2007 with the old Vision Racing outfit.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 7
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3