Jun 23, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Ed Carpenter used the final green-flag run of the day to race into a Top-5 finish at Iowa Speedway, claiming fourth at the checkered flag in today’s Iowa Corn Indy 250 – his best-ever run on the IZOD IndyCar Series’ shortest oval.
He had led for 18 laps before going to pit road for his final stop on Lap 214, having gone 73 laps on that stint. A slow stop knocked the American driver back to tenth position, but he proceeded to peel off six spots in the final 36 circuits and got by Graham Rahal for fourth with two laps to go. As a sign of his late pace, he was throwing down laps during his final stint that were eight miles per hour quicker than the leaders.
Carpenter was a podium threat from the beginning, moving up to second position behind the dominant James Hinchcliffe in the early stages. But he couldn’t stay there as his No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet suffered from understeer issues. This caused him to fall into the mid-pack, but he would charge back up the pylon following a Lap 117 pit stop for front wing adjustments.
“We probably weren’t as aggressive enough early in the race on our changes,” he admitted afterwards. “But we made all of the right changes late and we were fast at the end. I think we had a car fast enough to win today. Our last green flag pit stop didn’t go as we wanted, but we came back and nearly got a podium today.
“Overall, we still got a Top-5 finish today, so it wasn’t a bad day for us.”
The fourth-place run is Carpenter’s second Top-5 finish of the season and betters his previous best at Iowa, a sixth-place result in 2007 with the old Vision Racing outfit.
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0
- Kevin Harvick in a class of his own, dominates Atlanta NNS race 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar crowns its champion tonight at Fontana 1
- Lessons learned from Dale Earnhardt death readily seen in way NASCAR has dealt with Tony Stewart tragedy 2
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 4
- Kevin Harvick wins Atlanta Sprint Cup pole; Stewart qualifies 12th 1
- Castroneves secures crucial MAVTV 500 pole; Power starts P21 for IndyCar finale (VIDEO) 5